New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Engineering "set-it-and-forget-it design" Auto Sparge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #101
DarkNoonBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow_ben View Post

I expect that once you buy a couple silicone o-rings, washers, bolts, an adapter for the tubing and a float it will come out to about the same price as the Blichmann model.

-ben
From Grianger web site, it says the total before s&h come to 38.73. eh?

But yeah, that's about right. Blichmann AutoSparge sells for an extra $11, but it is a much better design for a MLT than the one from Grainger (great site by the way... finally found 3 way SS ball valves!) The AutoSparge comes with a washer and nut for mounting to your HLT, and a hose with flotation device is already included. The autosparge has also been tested at Purdue University's mass spectrometer for lead content, and is well below limits required for water supply. The float ball looks a ton shinier than grainger's. I like my sparge balls very shinny.

I really like using the autosparge because the little floaty thing keeps the hose in nice spot, and does not move but a few kernels in the light whirlpool of water above the grain bed. I'm pretty sure its more adjustable as well. The ball can be placed +-7 degrees i believe. The teeth on one side of the rod holder are rotated one half tooth to give more adjustment. The risk of hot side aeration is significantly reduced because the wort flows directly back to the top of the wort in the MLT right at wort level.

Here's the boss talking about it. (can you believe we ruined a 20gal pot just for display purposes?)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 AM   #102
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNoonBrewer View Post
(can you believe we ruined a 20gal pot just for display purposes?)
You guys should have some lexan placed over the opening and have water recirculating though it.

In the name of bling! Make it so!

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #103
Baron ken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNoonBrewer View Post
... I'm pretty sure its more adjustable as well. The ball can be placed +-7 degrees i believe. The teeth on one side of the rod holder are rotated one half tooth to give more adjustment.
I realize this thread is about a year old.

I recently got an AutoSparge and had trouble adjusting it. On looking at it more closely, mine does NOT seem to have the teeth rotated by half a tooth.

Has anyone else seen this on theirs?

I took a pic and drew a line in as close to perpendicular as I could and the teeth appear straight across from each other to me. More importantly than the visual is that when I hold the 2 pieces together and then flip it over and hold them together they are still in the same position (which means the teeth aren't rotated).
Click image for larger version:
Float arm teeth

Valve lever teeth. Manual says float arm has the rotated teeth, but I took a picture of the valve piece as well.

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #104
Baron ken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I emailed John Blichmann and he said I have an older model (even though I bought it recently, go figure).

I was going to put a washer between the 2 pieces, but I didn't have a washer of suitable size on hand so I fabricated one using a dip-tube o-ring inside a post o-ring. Works great and I know it's food safe.

I'm not limited by the teeth now for positioning!

Pics (click an image for a larger version):
Exploded view

assembled view

Installed view (note that the cotter pin is just inserted to hold it together, not bent like it should be)

What it looks like in the cooler

Outside view showing quick disconnects to the autosparge and to the drain valve (with temp probe inline)

Quick Reply