Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Engineering Electric BoilCoil and RIMS Rocket Sneek Peak @ NHC 2013 | Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #21
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigg View Post
How would one prepare for an electric setup as far as infrastructure? I'm thinking of building a 2.5 car garage, with one side deep. I could house my brewery in the garage with a large vent? Just curious on where to start, and obviously have 240v ran to that area. Any other requirements?
Justin - I'd start a new thread about it and ask there as this one's more about Blichmann's offerings mentioned in the first post. Since your questions are not really specific to these products, you'll get better responses if you start your own thread.

Now that said, I do give suggestions on venting and electrical requirements on my TheElectricBrewery.com website that may be of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post
3. Kal, I really wish you would produce a shorter element - 3000W or so - using a single-gang box for those of us wishing for smaller setups with smaller kettles. My 7.5 gal kettle is only 12.75" in diameter.
No reason why you can't follow my free instructions and use a shorter (smaller) element if you find one. Most brewers use 10 gallons at a minimum so we haven't gotten any requests so far for smaller/lower wattage elements like you mention. The elements I use are also universal/standard which is something that was important to me: When I punched a hole in my $400 Blichmann kettles I wanted the hole size to be able to take a standard element that I know will always be available for purchase a year from now or 20 years from now. I didn't want to rely on some custom element by one manufacturer who may or may not be around in 5, 10, or 20 years. I'm a big fan of standards/open sourcing/etc. Your needs may be different... This is also sort of off-topic Keith so I don't want to derail - if you have follow up questions please send me a PM or email directly (kal@theelectricbrewery.com). Cheers!

Kal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
crooow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I have to say, this looks awesome. Yes, one could DIY for cheaper, but I don't have the time, know how, or skills to build my own electric system. Kal's instructions are top notch, but I worry that I might overlook something and electrocute myself in the process. I'm willing to pay quite a bit extra for a pro to do it for me.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #23
markbrew
Recipes 

Default Blichmann RIMS Rocket

Any update on when the electric RIMS Rocket will be available?

Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
wedge421
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrew View Post
Any update on when the electric RIMS Rocket will be available?
This is from an email I sent to the designer of this system:

"We're still aiming for the end of the year. Several of the system's components are in production now. However, we're still working on some minor design details and finalizing the programming for the power control board. I would say early February is a worst case scenario."

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

kal Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #25
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

End of year? Dear Lord, please let this be available to order (pre-order is fine) by late November/early December. I have officially asked SWMBO for a brewing upgrade, and the BoilCoil (and all that) are the top of my list.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
craigmw
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Any sense about how the element and the pot are grounded? I see two electrical connections emerging from the side of the pot, but no obvious means for grounding. Does their proprietary connector provide ground by contacting the element nuts?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
crooow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
End of year? Dear Lord, please let this be available to order (pre-order is fine) by late November/early December. I have officially asked SWMBO for a brewing upgrade, and the BoilCoil (and all that) are the top of my list.
I'm in the same boat. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Top Tier stand and burners when I read about this. I hate waiting!

Old 09-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #28
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

I'm also wondering about setting up my brew stand with my burner and the Blichmann electrics. Do you think the RIMS Rocket will be strong enough to step the mash up without additional burner assistance?

If so, I can use my gas burner for the HLT. At least until I decide to go full electric, or not.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #29
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone have an update here? Getting to end of year and havent seen it released yet. Starting to plan new brewery and this seems perfect.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I had emailed Blichmann about the electric element for the Boilermaker earlier in the year and they said they were targeting end of 2013.

Emailed for an update last week and received this: "We are working hard to finish the last details with the electric systems and begin the manufacturing process. We should be ready to begin shipping them at the beginning of the new year. We will post information on our website and notify our retailers as soon as information becomes available."

Quick Reply