Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Engineering Electric BoilCoil and RIMS Rocket Sneek Peak @ NHC 2013 | Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Blichmann Engineering Electric BoilCoil and RIMS Rocket Sneek Peak w/ vid and pics

While at the 2013 National Homebrewers Conference expo we were able to check out some of the newest harsware from Blichamnn Engineering. Pete Fletcher, design engineer for Blichmann, gave us a sneak peek of 2 of their latest products. The BoilCoil and RIMS Rocket are 2 items that will allow brewers to make the jump into electric brewing without having to worry about complicated setups. Check out the video for more info! The actual interview starts about a min thirty in.

thumbnail-2.jpg   thunbnail-1.jpg  

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nice looking products but I am not paying Blichmann prices for a PID Controller in a shiny box. The proprietary connection for the coils rules out utilizing it with another controller unless you are comfortable voiding your warranty by hacking off the end of the cord. If their controller was reasonable or their coils were easily grafted into an existing PID/BrewTroller/BCS controlld system I would be very interested in the RIMS coil. I have a Hop Rocket already and it is one nice piece of gear.

Also the plug on the RIMS coil is in a bit of a tough spot. I understand why it was done that way but I can currently sit my Hop Rocket flat on the counter while in use. With that plug configuration I would have to either side mount it with a clamp or cut an opening in my brew table/sculpture to allow the plug to pass through and the unit sit flat.

Will ride for beer!

Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

All valid points but for people who do not have the technical know how to build a controller..i.e. myself, then this is a perfect solution. Just my 2 cents though

SDJay Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNJasonF View Post
The proprietary connection for the coils rules out utilizing it with another controller unless you are comfortable voiding your warranty by hacking off the end of the cord.
Are you even sure the black power cord is sold with the BoilCoil or the RIMS coil? It may be that the black cord is hard wired into their new "Tower of Power" like their old versions of the "Tower of Power". That would make sense given that in the video they mention that you would unplug the power cord at the RIMSCoil and plug it into the BoilCoil when you're ready to boil. In other words, there's one power cord.

This means that you could not purchase their RIMS Coil or their BoilCoil without also purchasing their new Tower of Power because of the hardwiring on the control panel side and more importantly the proprietary connection on the kettle / RIMS side.

I would bet good money this was done on purpose. Not only does adding a good standardized locking NEMA plug and receptacle at the back of the "Tower of Power" control box cost a lot of money that you don't have to spend at all if you hardwire, but hardwiring to the control box and using a proprietary connection at the kettle side completely stops people from buying their BoilCoil and RIMSCoil and using them with other control panels. Nobody's going to spend ~$600 on a Tower of Power just to get their hands on the proprietary heating element power cord.

Tying the control box and heating elements together with proprietary connections means that you can't switch out one without switching out the other as well. It's a system. You can't use their BoilCoil with a different control panel, and you can't use their "Tower of Power" with a different heating element.

It may be a smart marketing move (and possibly done for liability reasons), but it's bound to annoy many as anything proprietary marries you to a single manufacturer. I guess we'll see as more information rolls in as to how it all works.

EDIT: Watched the video again and they do mention that the two items will be available separately. Anyone have any pictures from the event that show the back of the "Tower of Power"?

Kal

Old 07-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Does anyone else make a boil coil like that which would fit a keggle? I wonder why we haven't seen one yet...

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Are you even sure the black power cord is sold with the BoilCoil or the RIMS coil? It may be that the black cord is hard wired into their new "Tower of Power" like their old versions of the "Tower of Power".
In the video he does make a comment that along the lines of "you get the coil and the cord with the plug".

Of course he also claims in several spots that marketing, pricing, and other such minor details are not fully confirmed yet. That means we really know nothing other than they have two very clean and well thought out coil designs with a nice but completely overpriced control unit on the way later this year.

Will ride for beer!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
In the video he does make a comment that along the lines of "you get the coil and the cord with the plug".
You're right - he did! He does mention that the tower and heating elements can be purchased separately. Good point. I didn't listen well enough.

Kal

Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
You're right - he did! He does mention that the tower and heating elements can be purchased separately. Good point. I didn't listen well enough.

Kal
I will email Pete and confirm either way.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I do not want to come off as a nay-sayer, I love almost all of their stuff. Every single piece of Blichmann gear I have purchased has been 100% top notch save one small item. I have my Blichmann burner was my favorite piece of equipment until I went electric and I still use it on my travel/portable rig. I love, love, love my Hop Rocket. I have a bunch of valves and fittings from them and if I ever upgrade from keggles to kettles it will probably be with their Boilermakers.

I am just not a fan of their tower of power line of control boxes. Limited features/functions made up of rather simple components/designs but vastly overpriced. These coils look top notch just like most of their other gear. If I can use that RIMS coil with a home built controller I will probably be all over it. I have a HERMS coil currently but would like the flexibility of having both RIMS and HERMS for different batches/processes/recipes.

Will ride for beer!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
I do not want to come off as a nay-sayer, I love almost all of their stuff. Every single piece of Blichmann gear I have purchased has been 100% top notch save one small item. I have my Blichmann burner was my favorite piece of equipment until I went electric and I still use it on my travel/portable rig. I love, love, love my Hop Rocket. I have a bunch of valves and fittings from them and if I ever upgrade from keggles to kettles it will probably be with their Boilermakers.

I am just not a fan of their tower of power line of control boxes. Limited features/functions made up of rather simple components/designs but vastly overpriced. These coils look top notch just like most of their other gear. If I can use that RIMS coil with a home built controller I will probably be all over it. I have a HERMS coil currently but would like the flexibility of having both RIMS and HERMS for different batches/processes/recipes.
Again I agree 100%, but I have zero technical skills to build a controller so I am willing to pay a premium for something like this. But I could see why anyone who has the ability would skip this

Quick Reply