Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is a Blichmann burner worth the bucks?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 140

My Wife got me one for Christmas since she does not like the smell and wanted me to move out side. The side benefit I did not see coming was definitely a bit faster brew day. 11am to 3pm, setup to complete clean up.

Primary: Empty
Secondary: 1 Gal Oaked JAOM (4/8/14)
Aging: JAOM (4/8/14)
Drinking: Coffee Stout (6/22/14), Water and Craft Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Not boiling the site gauge for sanitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumstigedy View Post
I upgraded from KAB4 Banjo Burners to the Blichmann ones and am still deciding. They definitely work better with the Blichmann Boilermaker Kettles; I don't have any boiling in the sight gauges. Dialing the the flame is a bit of an art, but I think with practice I will end up saving some time and propane vs the Banjos. It may take a few years to payback the investment.
In response to my musings once I think it was passedpawn did a test in his electric setup. My question was if the wort in the site gauge got hot enough to be considered sanitized. In an electric set up it turns out no. So, not having boiling in your site gauge may require extra precaution.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
Lab_Rat
Recipes 

I think from the standpoint of propane use you have to think very long term to recoup the price difference. You are talking ~ 0.2 pounds of propane saved per 6.5 gallon boil (Blichmann's data). So if you are doing a 6.5 gallon boil you need to brew 100 times to save yourself a tank of propane.

I think you have to take everything into consideration to justify the cost.
-Stainless steel so you will probably never replace it.
-Has a low gap between burner and kettle so works better in wind and has better heat transfer to kettle.
-More efficient than most burners (Becomes more important as you go up in batch size).
-Plugs right into top tier system (if that's important).

As far as large batches go (1-2 barrel systems), Blichmann engineering has suggested that people use a commercial stock pot stove. Something like this from American range. The one linked sells for around $450 new.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #24
brick_haus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have three. I have no experience with any others but these are very effecient and built to last. As far as noise goes, my pumps are much louder...

Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
NewFreedom
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Haters gonna hate, but I've been very happy with my two Blingmann floor burners.

If you get the extension legs you might want to do this mod to give the result a wider stance...

Cheers!
This just saved me so much energy! Ingenious!

[CENTER]Beast King
It's thick caramelly head gives way to a dark, malty-rich flavor and finishes smooth and mellow - but beware the wrath of the king. 8.3% ABV

Quick Reply