Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #21
planetscott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I used my Blichmann burner for the first time this past Saturday and I love it. It is so quiet, I thought it was not lit. It came to a boil faster and once there, I could dial way back and still maintain a vigorous rolling boil. So far, some of the best money I spent on equipment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #22
GillandCo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I love my blichmann burner...Im brewing on a single tier now but I figure if i ever want to upgrade to a 1bbl system I can just buy a blichmann 55g pot and use it as a mash tun. Then transfer to 2 15g kegs and ill be able to do different hop additions. I am satisfied with this purchase!

If you don't like it...We don't Care!

Old 11-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #23
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I love the Blichmann burner. I have tried several different ones and this is by far the best. So quiet (almost silent), powerful and efficient. Also very solid and well built.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #24
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine is en-route...

Old 06-24-2011, 03:48 AM   #25
amccormi
Recipes 

It has taken me forever to find this thread, but hopefully someone can help me out. I have had my Blichmann Burner for just over a year now and am having the damndest time with it. My boils take longer than when I was on my stovetop, and I have a lot of trouble with it blowing out. I hoave solved the wind problem by wrapping my kettle (10 gallon aluminium) and burner in aluminium foil whilst in use, but my last boil of 5.5 gallons took just under an hour to reach boil and it was weak.

What sort of setting are folks using between the regulator and air supply? I would love some help getting the most out of what I know can be a great piece of equipment.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:52 AM   #26
jvcjbl
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Drooled over one at my LHBS. On the list for my bday next month.

image-1267180329.jpg  
Tap # 2: Empty
Bottled: MusiclySweet Cream Stout (for SWMBO), Black Stain Imperial Stout, Boxer Brew

Mohr Brewing Co. Like Us!!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #27
planetscott
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amccormi View Post
It has taken me forever to find this thread, but hopefully someone can help me out. I have had my Blichmann Burner for just over a year now and am having the damndest time with it. My boils take longer than when I was on my stovetop, and I have a lot of trouble with it blowing out. I hoave solved the wind problem by wrapping my kettle (10 gallon aluminium) and burner in aluminium foil whilst in use, but my last boil of 5.5 gallons took just under an hour to reach boil and it was weak.

What sort of setting are folks using between the regulator and air supply? I would love some help getting the most out of what I know can be a great piece of equipment.
You want the bluest flame possible. I've had no problems with mine. You could contact Blichmann and see if they have any advice.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #28
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetscott View Post
You want the bluest flame possible. I've had no problems with mine. You could contact Blichmann and see if they have any advice.
I think the most important thing is that it should be as solid of a flame as possible.... you shouldn't hear any whooshing or see the flames dancing.... They should be nice solid blue cones.

-Eric

Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #29
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I ordered mine yesterday. I have an old propane burner my keggle doesn't even fit on, I need to put a grill rack on top of it.

I thought it'd be sweet to get one, with a 15-gallon boiler maker, but I couldn't swing the $500 now. Anyways, I can still mash in my igloo tun, and just got tubing for my new setup.

I always hated using my keggle because it was so clumsy sitting on my burner. Now I can use my smaller burn to heat strike water, and just collect in my kettle.

I emailed BMW and asked if the keg would fit on it, I think they wanted to laugh at me.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #30
USAFSooner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts

I just bought one of these from Austin Homebrew Supply ($149.99 + $4.99 shipping). I second what the OP said. This thing is massive and built like a tank. The steel is alot heavier gauge than what it appears in the photos. Ran my first batch with it today. I've been using a $39.99 piece of crap from Academy with a 4" burner. A couple of observations:

1. No need to run the regulator wide open. You only need to open it about half way. Adjust the air damper to where you have no orange flames and the blue flames are touching the burner.

2. This thing puts off some HEAT. I didn't time it but I swear it took half as long to bring 7 gallons of wort from about 150F to boiling as it did on the old burner.

3. The Blichmann burns EXTREMELY clean if properly adjusted. My old burner would completely blacken the bottom of my pot and soot up a good 6" up the sides. I was completely surprised to find no soot on the bottom of the pot. A quick wipe with the sponge and it was clean. I used to spend 20 minutes on the pot with a green scotch brite and some Bar Keepers Friend.

4. This thing is HEAVY! Between the massive cast iron burner and the heavy gauge steel construction you should zero worries putting large pots on it.

Its worth the money if you can afford it!

Quick Reply