Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 02:27 AM   #11
Pumori
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Had mine almost a month before the trial run as well. Made a batch yesterday and another one today. Really love this thing, solid as hell. Had 6 gallons in a 10 gallon Polarware at a full boil faster than I could imagine. Seems pretty easy on the gas as well. Have the leg extensions and gravity fed to the fermenters this time around. Next time will have the March pump recirculation hooked up during the chill (Jamil-O-Chiller setup) and probably pump to the fermenter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurgy101 View Post
My leg extensions arrived this morning!

The gas company is coming out to evaluate running a gas line to my patio, so I will no longer need LP tanks. Wanted to provide an update here; the burner uses high pressure and will not work with the low pressure coming out of the regulator from a gas furnace. So for me, I'm stuck using LP tanks for the burner, but my grill is hooked up.

Soon I'll get to try out my new Blichmann burner, leg extensions, 15gal Boilermaker and Hop Blocker all at once!
Blichmann is now making a natural gas conversion kit for their burners. Check out there webpage for more details.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I am thinking of purchasing one of these burners with the leg extensions. I really like the 2 tier stand from Pin up Brewery in the Vendor section. Unfortuantely I don't think I have the room for it, plus it obviously costs a lot more. I think this product will be a good compromise.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
Shepherd5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
Blichmann is now making a natural gas conversion kit for their burners. Check out there webpage for more details.
Cool, glad to hear that! One of the reasons I started this thread was because I didn't see much excitement over their burners when I was researching which one to buy. There weren't any reviews/ratings in the equipment section, so I put one there. Really, what gives?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
joyride75
Recipes 

Has anyone who has this burner had problems keeping it lit? I bought two to go along with my stand, and I'm having an impossible time with them. The first time I chalked it up to 40+MPH wind gusts, but this past weekend the wind was really tame. I switched to my old hurricane burner and the damn thing didn't go out once.

It seems like this would be easy to dial in, and I even followed the site directions exactly, but it would blow out even after I dialed it in to a nice, blue flame. Any suggestions?

Old 06-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #16
Rob_T
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride75 View Post
Has anyone who has this burner had problems keeping it lit? I bought two to go along with my stand, and I'm having an impossible time with them. The first time I chalked it up to 40+MPH wind gusts, but this past weekend the wind was really tame. I switched to my old hurricane burner and the damn thing didn't go out once.

It seems like this would be easy to dial in, and I even followed the site directions exactly, but it would blow out even after I dialed it in to a nice, blue flame. Any suggestions?
I noticed this with mine as well. Although I did have the regulator wide open.

As soon as I dialed it down a bit I had no problems after that.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
joyride75
Recipes 

I was running the regulator wide open the first time I tried to light it, but then actually sat down with the Blichmann site open and walked through it, with the same results. I emailed John and he said that it sounds like a regulator issue(the propane tank was actually pulsing at one point, then shut down completely), so he's sending a replacement out today. He replied in 10 minutes, had a Fed Ex tracking number for me in less than 15.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #18
zymurgy101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice to hear you had a quick response and turnaround. I have not experienced this issue with mine which now has three brew sessions on it. Winds were blowing in the low 20mph range during the second brewing session which made the initial boil at little longer than it should have been. Otherwise, no issues.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #19
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd5 View Post
Cool, glad to hear that! One of the reasons I started this thread was because I didn't see much excitement over their burners when I was researching which one to buy. There weren't any reviews/ratings in the equipment section, so I put one there. Really, what gives?
I have a Blichmann burner with the leg extensions and I am very happy with it. It is soooo much better than the B3 burner (Camp Chef) I have been using for the last 2 years. It's so quiet I actually checked it a few times to make sure it was lit. It is ~50% (30 min vs 15 min to boil for last 9 brews) quicker to bring 14 gal from mash out to boil and uses about ~1/3 less propane than the B3 burner (B3 = 5.5 boils per 20lb of propane, Blichmann did 8.5 boils from 20lb).

The actual boil is more even and the gas flow adjustment is more precise than the B3 needle valve. I have had no issues with the keeping the burner lit as others reported even in windy conditions. I have never run the burner wide open though as the flame then extends past the edge of the kettle and wasted energy goes up and away.

My biggest complaint is now that I boil more evenly my evaporation rate has increased and it taken a while for me to dial in new boil volumes. I have 15 gal kettle so 14 gal is max volume I can start with and that's pushing it. I need to add some water to the boil after 30 min as well as adjust my recipes to get OG where I want it post boil.

I think there are "closet" Blichmann owners out there. HBT has a vocal contingent of respected members who believe Blichmann products are overpriced and deter some who would consider buying the equipment. Peer pressure comes into play.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bought a TopTier with 3 burners and I absolutely love it... I know some people say its overpriced vs DIY, but when I ran the numbers it didn't come out that way. Don't get me wrong, I love making my own equipment, but between work, my wife, and a newborn, I would rather spend what little free time I have actually brewing. Based solely on the time it has saved me so far, I would highly recommend the TopTier or their burners to anyone.

Quick Reply