Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Brewmometers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Blichmann Brewmometers

Recently purchased three Blichmann Boilermakers and am super stoked on these overall; however, there is one thing I noticed while getting my system dialed in: when you tilt your Brewmometer the temp changes about 2 degrees. Not a big deal to re-calibrate but just something for those of you that have Boilermakers to take note of.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
freelunch
Recipes 

did you experience a persistent change, or temporary change?

The instructions I received with my Blichmann indicated that repositioning the brewmometer would result in a temporary 1-2 degree change.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelunch View Post
did you experience a persistent change, or temporary change?

The instructions I received with my Blichmann indicated that repositioning the brewmometer would result in a temporary 1-2 degree change.
I didn't notice this, or forgot right away, when I initially read through the instructions but I did go back and sure enough it's right there.

I tilted my thermos and noticed they changed about two degrees so I immediately readjusted them, they've been spot on since so not sure if that could be considered temporary. Seems like they'd still be off 2 degrees if I hadn't immediately readjusted them.?.?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1139 Times on 924 Posts

When I set up my Blingmann kettles I adjusted the Brewmometer faces upwards about 10° - and as warned in the destructions the needles clearly moved as I moved the faces. I recalibrated the BK for 212°F at boiling (we're like 200ft ASL) and the HLT for 160°F, and in three years since they're still dead on as compared to my trusty Thermapen.

So I disagree with the "temporary" thing. It's definitely a persistent change...

Cheers!

Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 362 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Three! Three! Wow.

Jealous. I have one Boilermaker / Burner for my mashing, still saving for the Brew Kettle / burner.

It is awesome, incredibly functional, and gorgeous too.

I like the brewmometer, but the sight glass is the feature that I have fallen in love with, didn't expect that.

Once I get my 20G brewpot, moving up to 10G batches.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply