Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Brewmometer sucks!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
pmkealiher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Blichmann Brewmometer sucks!

Second time using one today and that's how many batches of beer it ruined for me. This time it got stuck at 130 and before I realized it and checked with another thermometer my mash temp was at 190. Now I got that worthless piece of garbage bolted into my mash tun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
lamppa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

most people ruin their kettle therms from the exterior heat from the burner. the maunufactoerererer has some crap about using a heat shield under direct fire mashing or boil kettles.

IMO its not accurate enough anyway.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

Old 03-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
mobilecabinworks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I do not use any dial thermometers when I mash anymore. I don't trust them. I moved to using only a spirit lab thermometer. Traceable for calibration. I calibrate all of my thermometers that I use for other brew things to this thermometer. Luckily my floating dairy thermometer is spot on as well.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I agree it's a piece of crap, which is a shame because their other stuff is pretty nice. I have adjusted mine ad nauseum. It seems like maybe it's accurate in the mash temp range (the range I care about most), except that's not really true, either. It basically "sticks" around 150 when the temperature gets in that range. I have then subsequently raised the mash bed temp to 168F for a mash out, while continuously recirculating RIGHT OVER THE PROBE, and it still stays around 150.

I'll stick with my thermapen.

And, actually I keep meaning to put a plug in that hole instead of the Brewmometer so that pulling the bag out during a BIAB is a little easier.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Call me paranoid. I have two thermometers that stay in the mash and a third hand held for spot checking different locations.

Edit to say:
I would never trust any one thermometer. Too much to loose!
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
pmkealiher
Recipes 

Northern Brewer is crediting me for the price of the Brewmometer and the ale kit it ruined today, and they're sending me a hole plug for my mash kettle. Honestly wasn't expecting that, but wow. Great guys there, everyone should buy from them. Just ordered a Thermapen, any other thermometers that people like?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You set yourself up for this type of failure any time you apply outside heat to your mash tun.

The problem is your mash is thicker than water and the temperature stratifies. And when you apply heat from the bottom the mash heats from the bottom up. The mash next to the heat can easily be at 200 F while the temperature at your Brewmometer or hand held digital thermometer still shows 155 F. Blichmann won't tell you this because they want to sell more stainless steel pots.

This is also why when I step mash I raise the temperature by pouring in small amounts of almost boiling water while stirring the mash, and I make sure that I stir from bottom up so that the temperature is as even as possible. I also mash in a cooler - I have no use for a mash pot because I will never apply outside heat to my mash tun.

This is why many brewers move on to a RIMS type system. With a RIMS type system the liquid circulates to a outside tank where it is heated & the temperature is monitored. And with a RIMS type system, make a temperature change and shortly the entire mash is at that temperature because the heated liquid circulates through the entire mash.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
pmkealiher
Recipes 

But if you stir the mash, wouldn't the warmer water from the bottom mix with the top and make it more of uniformed temp?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, but with pots that don't have trimetal bottoms local heating is still a issue. Plus you would need to apply only low heat and stir continuously to distribute the heat. I stir continuously when I pour hot water into my mash and I'm still worried about temperature stratification. More than once I thought I had stirred well enough then I stirred more, pulling mash up from the bottom and watched the temperature drop by more than one degree.

This is where side mount thermometers like the one Blichmann sells comes in handy. Once you know that the side mount is calibrated you can compare the top temperature and the temperature half way down the mash tun. The difference tells you that you have a temperature stratification problem even though it does not measure the temperature at the bottom.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I have a tri metal pot that I plan to mash in. Trying to decide to recirculate in the mash pot or recirculate through my hlt back to the mash pot. Any advise?

Quick Reply