The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann BrewEasy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Magic8Ball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 53

My last two houses had 240V dryer outlets. I guess you could brew in the laundry room> SWMBO might night like that however.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
jar

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie View Post
Everything is 240 volt, they didn't seem to have any plans or interest for 120 solutions of any kind and said their internal testing showed it just wasn't up to snuff, so unless your house is wired for 240 you can't use it. Which is ironic since they are indicating that the BrewEasy could easily fit in an apartment closet, don't know how many apartments sport 240 these days.
I thought I heard John say they had a 120V element for the 5 gallon batch system only, but the recommend 240 as the the boil with the 120 is more of an 'aggressive simmer'.

Apartments with laundry in unit will usually have a 240V dryer socket, otherwise you're probably out of luck.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yeah, I was thinking that they might have been able to get away with 120 for the RIMS unit, but I'd trust whatever research they did to arrive at their conclusions.

I did live in two different apartments that had a total service of 15 amps for the whole apartment. Electric brewing in NYC is probably near impossible in some buildings.

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

If you have access to the breaker panel, wiring a new 240V circuit is very easy.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
jar

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
If you have access to the breaker panel, wiring a new 240V circuit is very easy.
I wouldn't do that in a rented apartment though. At least here in Massachusetts, electrical work can only legally be done by the homeowner or a licensed electrician. Should an electrical fire happen in the apartment, you'd be totally screwed.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #16
eroymada
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie
I didn't get any pictures of the RIMS or the electric kettle. The RIMS is essentially the bottom of a blichmann hop rocket with a very large custom low density 240 volt element coiled to fill the volume of the hop rocket body.

The electric kettle has a huge low density 240 volt element that circles the entire circumference of the inside of the kettle maybe once or twice at the bottom of the kettle. I think it's designed to sit below a false bottom if needed, but I could be wrong about that. The electric connectors on the outside are huge, chunky and durable looking three prong connectors similar to grounded stage pin connector if anyone's ever seen one of those working in theatrical lighting.

Everything is 240 volt, they didn't seem to have any plans or interest for 120 solutions of any kind and said their internal testing showed it just wasn't up to snuff, so unless your house is wired for 240 you can't use it. Which is ironic since they are indicating that the BrewEasy could easily fit in an apartment closet, don't know how many apartments sport 240 these days.

I don't think the brewEasy comes with a pump, I think their intent is for the system to work with the tower of power which contains the pump.
I think the whole kettle unit was around 3" high, so it won't fit below the false bottom made by Blichmann which only has a 1/2" clearance. The pump is part of the Tower of Power. You could unplug your apartment's water heater to us it. ;-)

I agree though, very cool stuff!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie View Post

I think many apartments have electric stoves, and condos often have electric dryers.

It may not work for renters who have to do some electrical work, but for those who own it would be perfect in many ways.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
crooow
Recipes 

Any updates on this?

Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
fifthcircle
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooow View Post
Any updates on this?
On what one? I just saw this thread, and hadn't seen the BrewEasy thing... kinda cool.
I have looked into the Electric Boilermaker, and the RIMS Rocket system. I emailed Blichmann about them, and the reply was available by end of 2013. I also asked about pricing and if the RIMS Rocket would heat the mash sufficiently, or if I would need to supplement heating with propane.
Pricing is not set yet, as well they have not decided if they will sell it as a system, or components. In other words, you might need to buy the kettle(s)/Hop Rocket, and fit the electric heating elements to them.
As for the heating times, here is the reply:
"The rocket will work very well for your needs. You will be able to heat a 4 gallons mash up 5.5 degrees per minute for a 5 gallon batch. 8 gallons 2.75 degrees per minute for a 10 gallon batch, and 16 gallons 1.5 degrees per minute for a 20 gallon batch. These are estimates that take inefficiencies into account. The controller will allow you to dial in the proper amount of power to find a perfect step rate for your mash. Have a great day."

I keep looking at different systems, and thinking it would be nice to order now, but then I look back at the Blichmann Electric stuff, and I love the look and function of it. I think I'll wait...and maybe get my electrician buddy to wire up 240v in my garage, and my welding buddy to get a stand all set up for me. I know it's gonna be expensive, but I'm really sick of missing mash temps, lifting heavy pots with hot water and dealing with propane. I'll use my Blichmann Burner for my HLT only. Adding a thermometer to my current 10gal kettle should work.... might get a bigger, cheap kettle for it.

-Kurt

Old 10-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
Danam404
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Anyone have any new information on this unit? Would definitely be interested in the electric one.

Quick Reply