Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann BrewEasy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
eroymada
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blichmann BrewEasy

I saw this, the 'BrewEasy', at the Blichmann booth at 2013 NHC this week. It's a compact RIMS system. As I recall, the top kettle is the mash tun which recirculates the wort through the bottom using the Tower of Power to control temperature. When done mashing, you drain to the bottom kettle to boil.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13154309@N04/9181257604/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13154309@N04/9181257168/

img_1595.jpg   img_1594.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Bling! I bet that costs close to the entire $$ I have spent in my 2 year brewing career!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
eroymada
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Bling! I bet that costs close to the entire $$ I have spent in my 2 year brewing career!
John Blichmann said they're offering a conversion kit if you have the kettles already, but I think it comes out to around $1500 if you want it automated with the Tower of Power.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Or as much as I have spent on equipment in my 30 years brewing pursuit.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Compare it to a sabco or more beer and it's competitive in price I think.

What was really interesting is to see where Blichmann is going with their products. They essentially have a modified BIAB or Brutus 20 ready to go. They also have a very nice fully electric brew kettle and a very nice 240 element that slots right into their existing hop back.

All the other brewstands are based on years and years of conventional wisdom, and Blichmann was the only company out there that seems to be paying attention to what DIY homebrewers are actually doing. As with everything Blichmann, it seems like they're taking good DIY ideas and over-engineering them until they're bulletproof and bling'd out, but I personally think you get what you pay for with them.

Their electric stuff looks better then any DIY solution I've ever seen, I'd much rather buy that electric kettle off the shelf then build one my own even if I could save a couple of hundred bucks.

To me, it's obvious that homebrewing will eventually move towards electric solutions and BIAB simplicity instead of continuing to emulate commercial brewing, so it was exciting to see a company try and get in front of that wave. It's expensive, sure, but it's pretty darn cool too.

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
jar

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie View Post
Their electric stuff looks better then any DIY solution I've ever seen, I'd much rather buy that electric kettle off the shelf then build one my own even if I could save a couple of hundred bucks.
Yeah, I'm highly interested in the electric kettle. The one thing that I forgot to ask was what control options there are and the total cost. I saw there was a different version of the 'tower of power' for breweasy, but I didn't get the details.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Barnesie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Yeah, I'm highly interested in the electric kettle. The one thing that I forgot to ask was what control options there are and the total cost. I saw there was a different version of the 'tower of power' for breweasy, but I didn't get the details.
From what I understand the standard tower of power is PID control for a gas valve. The new tower of power is electric only at 240 volt.

I would assume you could get the breweasy in either an electric or traditional floor burner setup. The floor display was on the floor burner.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
bumstigedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Can someone post a picture of the electric kettle?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

That is every exciting. Too expensive for me at this point... but creating more of these systems can only advance our understanding and capabilities related to 'add all your water at once' brewing techniques. I shall continue to drool. Well done, sir.

Where is the pump located in the system pictured?

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
Barnesie
Recipes 

I didn't get any pictures of the RIMS or the electric kettle. The RIMS is essentially the bottom of a blichmann hop rocket with a very large custom low density 240 volt element coiled to fill the volume of the hop rocket body.

The electric kettle has a huge low density 240 volt element that circles the entire circumference of the inside of the kettle maybe once or twice at the bottom of the kettle. I think it's designed to sit below a false bottom if needed, but I could be wrong about that. The electric connectors on the outside are huge, chunky and durable looking three prong connectors similar to grounded stage pin connector if anyone's ever seen one of those working in theatrical lighting.

Everything is 240 volt, they didn't seem to have any plans or interest for 120 solutions of any kind and said their internal testing showed it just wasn't up to snuff, so unless your house is wired for 240 you can't use it. Which is ironic since they are indicating that the BrewEasy could easily fit in an apartment closet, don't know how many apartments sport 240 these days.

I don't think the brewEasy comes with a pump, I think their intent is for the system to work with the tower of power which contains the pump.

Quick Reply