Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Boilermaker as sole mash tun, boiling kettle?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
climateboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 460
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Lopez View Post
I dont think there is anything else for us to tell you if you don't want to listen to us... You will never keep your mash temperatures perfect with a direct fire system without a temp. controller. Using a mash tun that will keep the heat from escaping is what you should be looking at if you want to get it right without spending tons of cash. Judging by your other post about the gear your sister got you, you dont' need all the best things to make good beer.
Hey, Anthony, I'm just trying to kick ideas around, not being contrarian. MoreBeer was out of most of the things my sis was trying to get me, so I had to rejigger. While reconfiguring, I started looking over my options and tried to simplify.

I needed to hear that about the direct fire system. Thank you. Trying to put together an equipment list while learning the details of AG is not the easiest. For example, I thought I had it all right until the folks at Northern Brewer and elsewhere told me a 25' wort chiller would not work with a 5 gallon batch in a 15-gallon pot...that a 5 gallon batch in a pot that size would be to shallow. So that sent me running after a plate chiller, which adds even more expense...I think I don't need the plate chiller, but, you see, the mind is weak...
__________________

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers


"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

climateboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #12
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Anthony_Lopez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Groton, MA
Posts: 1,693
Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

you don't need a plate chiller. As far as I'm concerned, an IC works great. A 10-15 gallon pot, copper wort chiller, and a converted cooler is all you need as far as equipment goes to make award winning beer. Knowledge and technique is what makes good beer.

I definitely hear ya as far as trying to think things over, but I think my entire allgrain system cost less than a 15 gallon Blichmann.

__________________

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Anthony_Lopez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 02:28 AM   #13
climateboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 460
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Lopez View Post
you don't need a plate chiller. As far as I'm concerned, an IC works great. A 10-15 gallon pot, copper wort chiller, and a converted cooler is all you need as far as equipment goes to make award winning beer. Knowledge and technique is what makes good beer.

I definitely hear ya as far as trying to think things over, but I think my entire allgrain system cost less than a 15 gallon Blichmann.
That's really good to know (although for the record, I was thinking about a 10 gallon Blichmann, which is only equivalent to half a month's rent for me. Ha!).

Do you have any experience with weldless fittings? Do you think a 10-15 gallon MegaPot with a ball valve is a good idea? Or better to leave it undrilled?
__________________

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers


"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

climateboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,466
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I have a 25' IC and a 15 gallon keggle and it cools the wort just fine. Hell, in the apartment I was actually cooling in a water bath along with the IC and that worked peachy keen.

__________________

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

EvilTOJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Lopez View Post
You will never keep your mash temperatures perfect with a direct fire system without a temp. controller.
While I personally wouldn't recommend this approach or use it for myself, I have pointed out here before that Joe Formanek mashes on the stovetop (without a temp controller other than himself). He lauters separately though, I do think cleaning out the mash tun after the sparge and then boiling in it sounds like a long brew day.

So I guess what I am saying is that mashing on the stovetop may not be great but I think controlling the temperature, at least well enough to win a couple of Ninkasis, is possible.
__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #16
climateboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 460
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
While I personally wouldn't recommend this approach or use it for myself, I have pointed out here before that Joe Formanek mashes on the stovetop (without a temp controller other than himself). He lauters separately though, I do think cleaning out the mash tun after the sparge and then boiling in it sounds like a long brew day.

So I guess what I am saying is that mashing on the stovetop may not be great but I think controlling the temperature, at least well enough to win a couple of Ninkasis, is possible.
Thanks for that, Remilard. I'm going through a big reorganization of the brew closet this weekend to see about space for the cooler, and then I'll weigh my options. Of all of the parts of this approach that sound the most daunting, I have to say that cleaning out the tun is high on the list. I'd be nervous about boiling any husks I missed.
__________________

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers


"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

climateboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blichmann Boilermaker for MLT/Boil Kettle/both/neither? LandoCalrissian Equipment/Sanitation 36 10-09-2011 03:07 AM
Question about Blichmann Boilermaker zman Equipment/Sanitation 3 09-23-2009 09:36 PM
For Sale - Blichmann Boilermaker 10g setup: 15g HLT, MLT and 20g BK Gordie For Sale 2 08-23-2009 05:53 AM