Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Boilermaker Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Have you emailed John Blichmann about the clogging? I'd like to know his take on it.
Hi Ed
I will email John. He is very responsive to questions and should lend some insight. I used bags in my last brew and the kettle drained fine. Prior to that, i have never used hop bags, and always had good luck with my Bazooka screen.

KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #12
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That will be good to know. Are you using one to mash in? If so, how are you using it and how do you sparge?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
That will be good to know. Are you using one to mash in? If so, how are you using it and how do you sparge?
Ed
I bought a kettle with the false bottom as a Mash Tun for my rig. I will be finished with it this week and plan on trying it out this weekend, perhaps. I usually don't sparge, but when I do for larger batches, it is batch style. I look forward to seeing how the innovative false bottom works out.

KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #14
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The false bottom works great. I have a 15G MT with false bottom and the 20G boil kettle.

I too had a very small issue at the end of my transfer. I didnt really consider it stuck, but there was a little more left behind that when I calibrated with just water.

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
I was in the market for a new pot recently, right around the time they came out, and as soon as I saw they had a single ply bottom I didn't even consider them. I ended up going with a 15 gallon Megapot with spigot and thermometer and I could not be any happier, the thing is so beautiful that I get all misty eyed when I look at it. I have some other Blichmann products that I absolutly love, but they really dropped the ball on these pots. They put on a bunch of stuff you don't need and left out the single most important feature on a boil kettle.
You really don't need a multi-ply bottom in a kettle like this. A single ply is just more susceptible to hot spots due to "less" even distribution of heat. Considering the type of burners we use and the fact that we arent making a thick soup this isnt an issue. Its even less of an issue with a false bottom.

I've used my two kettles and couldn't be happier with the features. None of which I think are stuff you "don't need".

Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater View Post
You really don't need a multi-ply bottom in a kettle like this. A single ply is just more susceptible to hot spots due to "less" even distribution of heat. Considering the type of burners we use and the fact that we arent making a thick soup this isnt an issue. Its even less of an issue with a false bottom.

I've used my two kettles and couldn't be happier with the features. None of which I think are stuff you "don't need".
Correct. SS does tends to have hot spots even on multi-ply. I have used copper for cooking for 25 years and nothing distributes heat like it, but of course it's not practical for our purposes. My 100.00 soup pot now sells for $800.00!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
The false bottom works great. I have a 15G MT with false bottom and the 20G boil kettle.

I too had a very small issue at the end of my transfer. I didnt really consider it stuck, but there was a little more left behind that when I calibrated with just water.
How much did it leave behind? I can't wait to use mine. My weekends are tied up for a while.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #18
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
How much did it leave behind? I can't wait to use mine. My weekends are tied up for a while.

Mash Tun - I pumped until the hoses were mostly air and I had about 350 mL (~1.5) Cups of liquid remaining.
Boil Kettle - Also pumped until hose was mostly air and remaining liquid was about 1200 mL (< 5 Cups)

I thought this dead space was pretty respectable.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #19
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFebtober View Post

That said, those Blichman kettles do seem quite pricey and come with features not everyone would want (i.e. I have no need for a temp probe on my kettle).
Well, I guess they aren't selling each kettle for a specific purpose such as boil kettle, mash tun, etc. They sell the pot and you make it what you want by adding a false bottom or boil screen. To me, if ever want to mash in my 20G boil kettle all i have to do is get a new false bottom and you can never have too many thermometers.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #20
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Well, I guess they aren't selling each kettle for a specific purpose such as boil kettle, mash tun, etc. They sell the pot and you make it what you want by adding a false bottom or boil screen. To me, if ever want to mash in my 20G boil kettle all i have to do is get a new false bottom and you can never have too many thermometers.
That's a good point. More buying options are always a good thing, so I do welcome any new kettles/vessels to the market. Plus, that knockout-style false bottom does seem pretty kickass.

Now, if only there were more buying options for wort pumps (besides March) and burners (besides bayou classic).... I bet Blichmann's already working on engineering better versions of those items specifically for the brewer.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Quick Reply