Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Boilermaker Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
MNBugeater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Blichmann Boilermaker Reviews

I have been searching the boards for someone that actually has the new Blichmann Boilermaker kettles/tuns to review and discuss their features, qualities, likes, dislikes, but have not been able to find actual discussion of the product other than drooling of their design or complaining over their price...Both of which seem justified.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ight=blichmann

I hope this thread turns into a review of the Blichmann Boilermaker kettles. I have them on order; a 20 Gallon Brew Kettle with Screen, and a 15 Gallon Mash Tun with False Bottom. Forum member 'korndog' also has 1 or more on order. If anyone else has them on order, or better yet, actually has one in hand already; Could you provide a review on the kettles and performance of the boil screen and/or false bottom, or other features you either like or dislike?

I will follow up as soon as I get them.

MNBugeater

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Brewscadious Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Baudette!! nice. roll through there every year on the way to Canada. Love eating at Rosies, the ribs are great!

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 03-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Give me a heads up next time you come through....homebrew on tap. I am good friends with the owners of Rosalies. Ribs arent the best thing on the menu BTW...

Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
67coupe390

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I noticed in the williams cat. that the bottoms of them are single ply and look thin. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BOILE..._P2061C251.cfm The 50 gal pot I have is at least a 1/4" thick and tri-ply. And the other thing that I don't care for is the sight glass. It seems like another thing to clean but thats just me. It would be cool to just get what you want for add-ons
When I was looking for a big A@# pot it took me a while to find them so its nice to see them easier to get. I think I may buy one sometime so I'll be watching this thread.

Coupe 390

Old 05-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have the 15 gallon kettles. They are very nice but I have had trouble with the boil screen clogging. I never had any issues with my Bazooka screen and never used a hop bag. I have had two stuck brews now and will have to use bags in the future. I whirlpooled on knockout as suggested in the instructions, but to no avail. I think the product is simply not designed well for large hop additions directly to the kettle. I am a big fan of Blichmann products.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Good info and good to know, korndog.

I am planning my first brew both with the Blichmans and my new brew stand tomorrow. I was hoping for last weekend, but had to postpone until tomorrow.

I'll follow up here with my experiences tomorrow night.

I have the 15 G MT and a 20G Boil kettle. They have the false bottom and boil screen respectively. I am using march pumps to transfer liquid and came up with these dead space amounts.

Mash Tun - I pumped until the hoses were mostly air and I had about 350 mL (~1.5) Cups of liquid remaining.
Boil Kettle - Also pumped until hose was mostly air and remaining liquid was about 1200 mL (< 5 Cups)

I thought this dead space was pretty respectable.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was in the market for a new pot recently, right around the time they came out, and as soon as I saw they had a single ply bottom I didn't even consider them. I ended up going with a 15 gallon Megapot with spigot and thermometer and I could not be any happier, the thing is so beautiful that I get all misty eyed when I look at it. I have some other Blichmann products that I absolutly love, but they really dropped the ball on these pots. They put on a bunch of stuff you don't need and left out the single most important feature on a boil kettle.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
auto
ARC Brewing

Recipes 

I am waiting on a 15 Gallon Boilermaker, what is the ETA from time ordered? I am even holding off any more brews until it arrives. Well going to try the Apfelwein today.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that having a multi-ply/super thick bottom wasn't really necessary. In theory, it seems beneficial, but in practice I've never heard of anyone having scorching issues using keggles, which would certainly qualify as single-ply (though I don't know how thick that SS is compared with other kettles).

That said, those Blichman kettles do seem quite pricey and come with features not everyone would want (i.e. I have no need for a temp probe on my kettle).

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 05-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog View Post
I have the 15 gallon kettles. They are very nice but I have had trouble with the boil screen clogging. I never had any issues with my Bazooka screen and never used a hop bag. I have had two stuck brews now and will have to use bags in the future. I whirlpooled on knockout as suggested in the instructions, but to no avail. I think the product is simply not designed well for large hop additions directly to the kettle. I am a big fan of Blichmann products.
Have you emailed John Blichmann about the clogging? I'd like to know his take on it.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply