Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Are the Blichmann Boilermaker pots worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #21
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Guys... Spike is a vendor and pays for a vendor account. Is it that surprising that he would post a link to his product? Blichmanns are incredibly expensive. The most expensive kettle on the homebrewer market. Are they worth it? I don't know, I don't own one. But saying that it is out of line to make a suggestion is, well, out of line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #22
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a 20 gallon Blichmann and like it; I would probably buy it again.

My reason for buying it was there were features that the pot had that I could try to replicate but would still not be the same. I enjoy the DIY side of this hobby but there is no sight glass that I could buy or build that would compare with what comes on the pot. Other features like the thermometer were less important to me as I have my own setup of digital thermometers; that part of the cost was probably wasted for me.

If you buy the Blichmann, you probably won't feel let down by the quality or engineering side of the product. It by no means is going to guarantee that you make any better of a beer.

You're not going to find an answer to "is it worth it" as only you can decide that; little in this hobby makes financial sense when you really add up all the costs and time involved.

As to your question "Any cheaper alternatives that would work just as well?"; with a Blichmann the answer is probably "yes, all of them".

Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #23
JeepDiver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
Guys... Spike is a vendor and pays for a vendor account. Is it that surprising that he would post a link to his product? Blichmanns are incredibly expensive. The most expensive kettle on the homebrewer market. Are they worth it? I don't know, I don't own one. But saying that it is out of line to make a suggestion is, well, out of line.
He doesn't make. Suggestion that he has something that will work as good for a cheaper price. He sugggest the quality is the same for a lot cheaper price. It isn't. Do you need the quality and price of the Blichman to make good beer. No. Will his stuff make as good of beer as the Blichman stuff for a cheaper price. Yeah probably, but if some one is asking for a comparrison of things and he says his is just as quality as Blichman for a lot cheaper price it isn't. New people need to know they are comparing apples to oranges and not apples to applea
Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #24
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My first (real) kettle purchase was an 8 gallon Megapot and that thing was a tank! I still use it today, for ice water recirc. and decoctions....but I recently purchased a Stout Tanks & Kettles 9.2 Gal. Boil kettle/whirpool pot. I freakin' LOVE it. Quality is good and I love the triclamp fittings. Only drawback for me was the initial cleaning process (having to remove all the manufacturing oil) from the parts, but aside from that I don't think I'll ever buy a different pot. I really like having the ability to hook up my pump and whirpool right in the kettle. Makes for a nice clear beer going into the fermenter.

I believe their website is www.conical-fermenter.com I think it is worth at least a look.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #25
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
He doesn't make. Suggestion that he has something that will work as good for a cheaper price. He sugggest the quality is the same for a lot cheaper price. It isn't. Do you need the quality and price of the Blichman to make good beer. No. Will his stuff make as good of beer as the Blichman stuff for a cheaper price. Yeah probably, but if some one is asking for a comparrison of things and he says his is just as quality as Blichman for a lot cheaper price it isn't. New people need to know they are comparing apples to oranges and not apples to applea
That answers the OP's question of "Any cheaper alternatives that would work just as well?" to a T and is what I was trying to get at. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeerguy View Post
My first (real) kettle purchase was an 8 gallon Megapot and that thing was a tank! I still use it today, for ice water recirc. and decoctions....but I recently purchased a Stout Tanks & Kettles 9.2 Gal. Boil kettle/whirpool pot. I freakin' LOVE it. Quality is good and I love the triclamp fittings. Only drawback for me was the initial cleaning process (having to remove all the manufacturing oil) from the parts, but aside from that I don't think I'll ever buy a different pot. I really like having the ability to hook up my pump and whirpool right in the kettle. Makes for a nice clear beer going into the fermenter.

I believe their website is www.conical-fermenter.com I think it is worth at least a look.
I've always thought those things were awesome especially the fermentors!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #26
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeBrewing

That answers the OP's question of "Any cheaper alternatives that would work just as well?" to a T and is what I was trying to get at. Thanks
!
Right and you said your was just as high quality at half the price. It can make just as good beer at half the price, but to say all things are equal but price is not the case.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #27
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver
Right and you said your was just as high quality at half the price. It can make just as good beer at half the price, but to say all things are equal but price is not the case.
Maybe it is of equal quality, or better. I'm guessing you don't own one. Either way, trying to turn a simple thread where someone requested info about kettles - which Spike provided I might add - into a flame war is dumb. Just let it go man.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 763

I simply can not see Blichmann as a resonable kettle. If someone let me spend $800+ on brewing equipment...the last thing I would want to end up with is two 10g kettles. I too once had the blingmann fever, and I actually got the go ahead from the SWMBO to spend $1000 upgrading to 5 gallon. If I bought a blichmann setup, thats about all i would have ended up with, instead of a HLT, MLT, 10 gallon kettle, chiller, new carboys, tubing, burners, etc.

To each his own but I also have to say that Stout kettles appear to be way better anyways, and cheaper...at least before shipping

Old 04-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #29
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
I simply can not see Blichmann as a resonable kettle. If someone let me spend $800+ on brewing equipment...the last thing I would want to end up with is two 10g kettles. I too once had the blingmann fever, and I actually got the go ahead from the SWMBO to spend $1000 upgrading to 5 gallon. If I bought a blichmann setup, thats about all i would have ended up with, instead of a HLT, MLT, 10 gallon kettle, chiller, new carboys, tubing, burners, etc.

To each his own but I also have to say that Stout kettles appear to be way better anyways, and cheaper...at least before shipping
When I upgraded to 15 gallon batches, I needed to upgrade to a 20 gallon boil kettle. I looked at all options: Stout, Brewhemoth, Blichmann, and the no names. Only Blichmann could provide me with a 20 gallon kettle with valve, site gauge, thermometer, and pick up tube for $410 shipped.

So, for a 10 gallon pot, I agree--you can find something a lot cheaper than a Blichmann. But once you get past "Keggleland" and 15 gallon pots, Blichmann is actually a pretty affordable option.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #30
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrocks View Post
Only Blichmann could provide me with a 20 gallon kettle with valve, site gauge, thermometer, and pick up tube for $410 shipped.

So, for a 10 gallon pot, I agree--you can find something a lot cheaper than a Blichmann. But once you get past "Keggleland" and 15 gallon pots, Blichmann is actually a pretty affordable option.
You didn't look hard enough. I just bought a 20 gallon stainless pot and 3 piece stainless valve with fittings for $150, shipped to my door. It doesn't have a sight glass and thermometer, but I feel those are a waste of money in a boil kettle any way.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Quick Reply