Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Are the Blichmann Boilermaker pots worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #11
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 54

In my opinion I think we offer a kettle of equal quality for about half the price AND our kettles come with welded couplers.

10 gallon - www.spikebrewing.com/10_gallon_kettle

15 gallon - www.spikebrewing.com/15_gallon_kettle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 22

9 out of 10 peeps will tell you to start with a 15 gallon pot. I have a 5 tap kegerator, I don't drink all that much, I like variety, and I like brewing often. All that adds up to me never really wanting or needing to ever brew anything more than 5-6 gallon batches.

With that said, my first pot was a 10 gallon boilermaker and I have two 10 gallon coolers for mash tun and HLT. When I replace my coolers with pots, I will most likely go ahead and get 15 gallon pots. Why? Because the cost in most cases is negligible. However, when I do that, my 10 gallon will still have a place in my system as the HLT or Boil pot depending on the situation.

Bottom line, if your situation somewhat resembles mine, then it will probably be ok to start with a 10 gallon to allow yourself some left over cash for other things that are more critical. If you decide to add the flexibility of 10 gallon batches in the future, then that 10 gallon pot can still have a place without becoming obsolete.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #13
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeBrewing
In my opinion I think we offer a kettle of equal quality for about half the price AND our kettles come with welded couplers.

10 gallon - www.spikebrewing.com/10_gallon_kettle

15 gallon - www.spikebrewing.com/15_gallon_kettle
Everytime someone brings up kettles you post this. Then when someone points out that you have to add a ball valve, thermometer, sight glass and the coupler for the sight glass and the price is about the same and your pots come from China and blichman is US made you drop off the thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 AM   #14
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've got Blichmanns and love them. Yes, I could have saved ~$50 each by getting something else with similar features, but I love the protected sight glass and the bling factor. I'll echo the other comments regarding going with 15gal. I comfortably do 5 and 10 gallon batches. For a difference of $60 you know you won't need another kettle if you make the 10gal jump. Worth it in my eyes.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #15
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
Everytime someone brings up kettles you post this. Then when someone points out that you have to add a ball valve, thermometer, sight glass and the coupler for the sight glass and the price is about the same and your pots come from China and blichman is US made you drop off the thread
I usually don't stick around posts because I don't try and hard sell anyone. I know our kettles are the best value out there so I post a link and let our kettles do the talking. I will, however, stick around a thread if someone is bashing our company or giving false information, which I believe applies here.

First and foremost Blichmann kettles are not made in the US. Blichmann, Megapots, Bayou Classic, ours, etc are all made in China.

As for pricing....

Spike kettle:
$150 - 10gal Spike Brewing kettle
$20 - Ball valve
$26 - Thermo
$27 - Sight glass from Bobby_M
Total: $223 shipped to your door

Blichmann kettle:
$316 - 10gal Blichmann

So when you say about the same you mean $100 difference?

Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

And again, it has to be pointed out that those options are not even in the same ballpark. Is that ball valve 3-piece stainless? Is that thermometer adjustable like the Blichmann? The plastic sight glass referenced is not even close to the one included with the Boilermaker. You also forgot the included snap in dip tube and the integrated stepped bottom.

No one is bashing your company but stop claiming you're offering the same quality for less when you simply are not. If you had said you offered something that was somewhat close but budget priced I don't think anyone would argue.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #17
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markd27 View Post
And again, it has to be pointed out that those options are not even in the same ballpark. Is that ball valve 3-piece stainless? Is that thermometer adjustable like the Blichmann? The plastic sight glass referenced is not even close to the one included with the Boilermaker. You also forgot the included snap in dip tube and the integrated stepped bottom.

No one is bashing your company but stop claiming you're offering the same quality for less when you simply are not. If you had said you offered something that was somewhat close but budget priced I don't think anyone would argue.
I'm not going to let the thread turn into a flame war. We're just letting the OP know there are other options out there. I know I'm not going to convince the Blichamnn lovers out there of anything.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #18
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No, you're just going to accuse another member of giving false info, then give some false info of your own, then call anyone that disagrees with you a blichmann lover.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:42 AM   #19
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markd27 View Post
No, you're just going to accuse another member of giving false info, then give some false info of your own, then call anyone that disagrees with you a blichmann lover.

**I'd like to apologize to the original poster for the thread getting hijacked but I'm done after defending our company one last time here**

First, saying Blichmann kettles are 'Made in the US' is false. People need to know that before spending top dollar on something they thought was made here in the US.
Second, I'm not sure what false info you think I gave? If you think you need a 3-piece valve, movable thermo or glass sight glass others sell them and you can bolt them right up to our kettles. The thermos and valves we sell are the best value out there in our opinion and that's why we sell them.

But we're done here. Good luck with what ever kettle you decide to buy and happy brewing!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #20
Pilotcox
Recipes 

Get an old keg for about $30-50, a ss valve for about $40, and a thermometer for about $40 and you have a 15 gal pot for $130 or less.

Quick Reply