Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bleach/Vinegar Sanitizer Shelf Life
View Poll Results: How long do you use activated bleach sanitizer? (Bleach water vinegar solution)
8 Hours or less 1 20.00%
Every day I brew starts with a fresh batch 4 80.00%
2-4 Days 0 0%
A week or so 0 0%
More than a week; if so how long & any problems? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Bleach/Vinegar Sanitizer Shelf Life

Once mixed and activated with vinegar, how long will a bleach+water+vinegar solution last? Will it degrade over a few hours, a day, a week, a month? Assuming I mix this up using tap-water for big jobs, how long will it last?
What about DI water as is recommended for starsan longevity?

Currently I mix it up every time I brew and keep some in a spray bottle for non-brewing use. I replace the contents of the spray bottle each time I mix it, it never looks cloudy but I don't know when it stops working.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I just wanted to add some observations from using this sanitizer for 10 months. I have used it exclusively, and have not had any infected batches. However, I have gotten in the habit of spending a bit more time washing equipment with stronger detergent concentrations (oxiclean). I also give the equipment a longer soak in the sanitizer, which extends my brewdays a bit. It may not be necessary but I mix this up and let my stuff soak for a good hour before I do anything else. No damage to hoses or plastic parts, and no residual smell from the bleach or vinegar is noticeable on equipment or in the beers I have brewed.
I usually mix this up in a fermenter since I have liter markings on the side and it is easy to measure into. I then leave the excess in the extra fermenter for a full day after I brew/bottle with the tubing and whatever non metal equipment I can fit in there. I hope that it has done a deep sanitizing of any scratches in the plastic and really gotten through the hose interior surfaces.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

To be honest I have never heard of this. I run bleach through the lines in my camper every year and then follow up with the vinegar to get rid of the bleach smell and taste.

Never tried brewing though with it

Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

You don't need to soak for an hour. If you listen to Charlie Talley's mention of it, I think he say 2 minute contact time is sufficient.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 03-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bleach is bad for stainless steel and yeast has a bad reaction to it. Two reasons I will never use bleach for brewing.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
You don't need to soak for an hour. If you listen to Charlie Talley's mention of it, I think he say 2 minute contact time is sufficient.
True, its just healthy paranoia and I do other stuff in that hour like have a coffee and weigh out ingredients.

Quick Reply