Bleach and vinegar sanitisation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jump_xiii

Reaction score
Today I bottled 5 gal (uk) of my Young's Definitive Bitter.

I followed the directions given in the Beersmith podcast episode from a few years ago with the guy from Starsan (sorry no linky- hard to do on the iPad version of the forum- anyone able to post a link?) to use bleach + water + distiller vinegar as a no rinse sanitizer.

I'm well aware of the risks involved and mixed it in the appropriate order. I'm also aware that many brewers shudder at the thought of this method, but I wanted to try it due how cheap the ingredients are and because I'm still learning and want to try various things in order to get my own process down.

I will repost with the results in 2-3 weeks when I taste the beer...

I have never had a problem with it. I usually use it on the bottling part of my brewing. I will with bleach/vineager, let the bottles air dry upside down, then cap them with squares of tin foil for storage. Bottle day, a brief spritz of starsan from the vinator and I'm done.

Back