Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > A bit off-topic: stainess steel, aluminum or plastic for brining a turkey?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
Pixalated
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default A bit off-topic: stainess steel, aluminum or plastic for brining a turkey?

I am planning to cook my first turkey this year using Alton Brown's recipe. The vessels I have available for brining are my plastic fermentation bucket, a 5 gallon stainless steel pot and a 5 gallon aluminum pot. Which one is the safest one to use in terms of not getting contaminated or damaged for future brewing use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #2
starsailor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just use a cooler. We do it for a smoked turkey every year. Family is big enough to need 2 birds, one regular and one smoked. The smoked is always gone first.

Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Old 11-16-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
TexasBeer
Recipes 

I've used buckets and coolers. Buckets are easier to clean but the coolers regulate the temps and keep ice longer.

I go the cooler route now.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:22 AM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Plastic turkey brining bag. It's worth a few bucks to not have to clean another big pot. So I just lined my 5 gallon cooler with bag.

All in all it's easier to just roast the Turkey in the oven without brine. I actually prefer it to be less moist. Praying for an invite elsewhere so I don't have to do anything but drink wine & beer this year!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Extremely large ziplock back (2-1/2 gallon size) with the bird and brine in the cooler. Or in the pot, inside the fridge.

I wouldn't place it right into your brew bucket since I wouldn't 100% trust it to not get something nasty latching on. Especially if you've already used the bucket for any batches. If you're going to use a bucket, get a new one and use it only for that.

I use either Lexan containers, or food safe/grade plastic buckets to brine in. The Lexan is a very hard plastic, that won't pick up anything. Plus, it's very clear.

Still, when I'm using a brine, I tend to place everything into a ziplock bag before it goes into the container. Besides having less to clean, or worry about, you use less brine to do the job.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good choice on the Alton Brown recipe ... I've used that recipe for six years now ...

I brine my turkey in a double plastic trash bag in a five gallon bucket in the keg fridge ... rotate it half way through the brining ... RINSE WELL WHEN FINISHED.

Using the trash bags helps keep the brine from leaking out

Old 11-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
Pixalated
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

@samc, didn't know such a thing existed. Any suggestion on where to buy it locally?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:15 AM   #8
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts

Don't use stainless. The chloride ions from the salt can pit the surface similar to bleach (although not as quickly).

I use a big-ass food box (a clear plastic bin with lid0 that I bought at a local restaurant supply for about $20. It fits wonderfully in my refrigerator without having to move the shelves around.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I use a gigantic Tuperware container, but only brine a 10-12 pound bird. Anyway, I've been using the same container for years and it works great!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
bolts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use an old 8 gallon primary and stick it in the keezer. Cold crashing a turkey . Works perfectly.

Quick Reply