Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Big Pots, Big Burners 2: The Burninating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Default Big Pots, Big Burners 2: The Burninating

Hey Guys-

Putting together a 3bbl, direct fired LP system this week (like you do) and am still undecided on burners. I'm a big fan of the MONSTER burner over at Tejass Smokers (http://www.tejassmokers.com/castironburners.htm, about 2/3 of the way down), mostly because I know it works, but I'm still wondering about other burners.

I have more volume to heat than Mike did (original thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/big-pots-big-burners-whats-recommended-154886/) and found the (somewhat cheaper) 44 and 88 (!) jet burners, which I didn't know existed. I don't know about their BTU ratings, which are often wildly over stated, but Glacier Tanks cautions you to mount them 12-14 inches below the pots to avoid MELTING THE POTS (wtf?). I don't want the system to be any taller than it needs to be, and I'm also concerned about burning through propane unnecessarily.

A few other concerns: heat deflected downward onto the floor (doesn't seem to be a problem with the Tejass burner- Hess's is mounted VERY low to the ground) and plumbing them. Can I plumb different burners (For MLT And HLT) into the same manifold as long as everything's high-pressure? Can I even provide enough gas to have multiple burners going at once?

Thanks in advance, BTU badasses!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yikes, not even one reply after 67 views. Should this maybe get moved to the DIY forum?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Call Cheyenne at Tejas smokers. He was very helpful setting up my 2bbl system.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhrks View Post
Call Cheyenne at Tejas smokers. He was very helpful setting up my 2bbl system.
Thanks! What burners did you end up with?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
luhrks
Recipes 

1x 32 jet (boil) and 2x 20 jets(mt and hlt). All with pilots. (Yay for lighting once and walking away!)

Old 04-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks- how did you set them up? Just a manifold with a ball valve? How long does it take you to heat your strike water and how long does it take to hit a boil? Theoretically (and it is just a theory) the big 225kbtu cast iron burner should be able to bring a 3bbl batch up to a boil in about half an hour, and then could be dialed back after that. Not sure it's got the juice though, but I guess I could always just add a second one under the BK.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
luhrks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Thanks- how did you set them up? Just a manifold with a ball valve? How long does it take you to heat your strike water and how long does it take to hit a boil? Theoretically (and it is just a theory) the big 225kbtu cast iron burner should be able to bring a 3bbl batch up to a boil in about half an hour, and then could be dialed back after that. Not sure it's got the juice though, but I guess I could always just add a second one under the BK.
Truth be told I'm still getting things "dialed in" and finalized. If I had to do it again I'd just have bought 3x of the single burner stands from Tejas and then spaced them 6" apart and welded in tubing to make a single stand.

I'm running off of 2x 100# tanks hooked to a 0-60 psi regulator going to a single 1/2" manifold with each burner controlled by a ball valve (which never gets more than 1/4 open it seems). With all burners going, I'm icing the tanks.

When I automate, I plan on installing a low pressure regulator on each of the branches prior to the pilot/valve T. I can tell you that with the 20 jet burners properly set up I can get a 30degree temp rise in 10 minutes. Still working on getting the 32 jet spaced correctly.
img_20130414_194945.jpg   img_20130407_192621.jpg  

Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That's awesome- would love to see more of your system. Waiting to hear back from Tejass.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

wow, icing twin 100 pounders.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Number6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hey guys, I have found that when I put my bottles in a a water bath the icing issue goes away. For the twin 100's since they're a little unruly you might put them in a garbage can full of water and then rig up some kind of external tank support to keep them from tipping over.

hope this helps.

Cheers

Quick Reply