Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > BIAB stove top equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
wheatbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BIAB stove top equipment

Im fairly new to brewing but ive done a couple of extract brews and wanted to get into AG brewing. However i only have an apartment and i move a lot so i cant get a big system.

So i was wondering what AG brews others have been able to do on a stovetop and what size pot should i get?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Opivy
Recipes 

I read a sticky by deathbrewer that seems pretty awesome. Haven't done any AG yet, but I'm thinking about starting there.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
ElDuderino
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are doing BIAB and you want to do five gallon batches, you will probably want about a ten or eleven gallon pot. You add all the water you will use at once, so you have to allow for the recipe size itself, the grain, grain absorbtion, hop absorbtion, evaporation and any other losses. So a five gallon batch calls for around eight gallons of water and when you add the grain to that the level will rise...

I brew on a burner outside so I don't have much experience indoors (the first and only time I tried it I was new to brewing and had a boilover). It sounds like a lot of people don't get enough output from their stoves and supplement them with a heatstick.

Good luck.

Quick Reply