BIAB Stock pot with lower thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
Is there a reason everyone puts the thermometers up at 1/3 up to mid level of the pots. I do BIAB and want something that I can use a false bottom or cooling rack or something in my kettle to keep my bag from getting snagged and ripped. I have done the external thermomoter thing, but would like a bigger pot with it inside for ease of cleaning and handling. Does the thermomter need to be more than an inch or two off the bottom? Anyone know of any sold that are already like that? Sight glass would be nice too but not needed.

Because old habits die hard. It is just for looks really. Lots of places are now putting it at the same level as the valve. It works better for biab and also for small batches in larger pots (5 gal in a 15 gal kettle). Often the stacked thermometer is too high for the smaller batch.

Check out spike's site, he offers both styles but recommends the non stacked for these reasons.

http://www.spikebrewing.com/products/

As you can see, he offers kettles configured in lots of different ways. Here is his explanation for the horizontal vs vertical stacking of components:

The vertical config is kind of the standard for homebrewing and that's why we offer it. The horizontal is our solution to a problem. The vertical coupler config has the top thermometer coupler 6" from the bottom. Now if you're to buy a 15gal kettle that means you would need approx 6.5 gallons of liquid in the kettle until it reached the thermometer. If you wanted to do a 5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon kettle the thermometer would more than likely be rendered useless. The horizontal configuration keeps the thermometer submerged at all times.

(disclaimer) I don't have any experience with his kettles, but they seem to be very nice and I am considering them (way down the road) when I do a major upgrade. He is very active on the forums, I would shoot him a PM if you have other questions.

I have done several BIAB sessions with my thermometer in the "normal" position. Never had any issues with snags when pulling the bag. I just pull it slightly to one side.

Is a 15 gallon going to be big enough to do 10 gallon batches biab full volume? How much boil off in a 90 minute boil on 15 gallon kettles?

I'm calling Spike today...I've been eyeing at 15 with BV, Therm, and SG for a while now. What I was wondering if the temp readings were affected since it is lower...I read in one forum something about a guy putting a case with grease around it?? I think he called it a thermowell? Sorry...I'm still newer to brewing...hoping to do my first BIAB AG batch in the next week or two!

Back