Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > BIAB Basket sits too high... how to retain heat?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well your basket does not meet your requirements, sounds to me like you need to replace it with a smaller one, or cut it to fit. Easiest solution is to sell it and buy another one, hopefully without spending too much dough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

How about instead of modifying the basket or the pot, why not put some kind of insulating skirt that fits on the lid?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #23
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns
Sorry Chris, I did not mean to be insulting, I was just interested in your predicament simply because I was thinking about buying one for myself. The confusion (for me) stems from Bayou Classic and understanding that their pots are not engineered the same for all their pots. All Bayou Classic steamers and pots are NOT the same. I just didn’t understand this at first.

I have also posted a new thread which deals with this question indirectly, because I would like to know which (80 quart or larger), pot is the best for this.

To my way of thinking Bayou should sell their pots with this type of steamer insert http://bayouclassicdepot.com/1982-ba...mer-basket.htm, instead of having boiler or steamer baskets that sit flush with the bottom of the pot.

I will continue to watch this, and my other thread to see what ideas come from it, but now I am thinking about one of two options, and they are http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/shoppi...stockpots.html, (75 quart), because I like the heavier gage. It’s a bit pricier, but for this reason and the fact that it comes with a steamer insert, similar to a false bottom, it could be a good buy for me. The downside is price, and its not the volume I am looking for in a big pot with a steamer,

Another alternative would be to just go ahead and buy the 65 quart Bayou stockpot with the basket for about 150. The bad thing about this is that I would not be able to make bigger beers in 10 gallon batches. Maybe, I will have to be satisfied in this until I move up to the next step in a 3V system for making the bigger beers. I know understand that the 65 quart Bayou has a lip that holds the basket above the bottom of the kettle which if going electric (for me) is nice because I would have enough room for the heat stick. The downside is volume.
Johns- ya all their baskets are not the same designs, which seriously sucks. I love my 44qt design with the lip to hold the basket and the gap at the bottom. Search my previous threads on trying to help in determining a basket, I had one that was specifically on Bayou kettles. I solely BIAB right now, but intend one day to switch to 3V. I believe the Bayou kettles were the best route, especially after being an already existing customer. The heavy gauges nice and all, but really see no purpose other than a bigger price tag. I say this for two reasons: 1) if you're using electric, you don't need to be worried about scorching due to thin metal and 2) I'm not the gentlest person in the world and have bumped my kettle into things and never had any dents. Unless you're a semi-pro wrestler using it as a prop, there is no excuse that your brewing rig will ever become damage/dented.

Wilser - was originally thinking of an idea like weirdboy suggested.

Weirdboy - have any ideas on food grade insulating material? Was thinking of insulating material as a sleeve and then magnets sewed into it to hold the skirt to the lid

Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #24
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Well you said you're using aluminum foil now, right? So maybe just a sturdier version of that. Not with foil, but with aluminum sheets that are a bit thicker. Or, if you want to go nuts you could do something in stainless steel. If you want it actually insulated you could do a double-walled design, but to be honest the rest of your system isn't any better insulated than a thin sheet of metal anyway.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #25
lonetexan
Recipes 

Default You don't need a basket

Sell the basket on ebay and use the $ on something else. All you need is a proper fitting bag. If you are electric, recirculate until you get to your strike temp, drop in the bag of grains, then set the pid on manual at 5%. Stir with a mash paddle every 15 to 20 minutes and call it good. You do NOT need to recirculate during the mash, just stir a few times during the mash. KISS!!!!!

The only time I had an issue is during a recirculation that had created an air pocket around the element/below the grain bed. This is why I have stopped using the pump during the mash. I don't use anything to keep the bag off the element at this point.

We tend to make things more complicated than it needs to be!

Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #26
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Or,,,,,,or, you can take small nuts, bolts, and washers, and attach them to a pizzia screen. Pizzia screens are avialable on Amazon and are super cheap. The come in a various of sizes. The largest one is 20 inches. All that needs to be done is attach those bolts, nuts, and washers to the bottom of the pizzia screen to achieve the proper hieght.

I wish I would have thought of this earlier.

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields
Kegged: two heartednot, cascade, ale, pumpkin ale, rye ale.
Bottled: Mambo in your mouth,
Primary: imperal brown
Secondary: two hearednot, 2 fisted IPA, chimay white, breakfast stout

Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #27
WastedCider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Have you tried getting a measurement of the feet on the Bayou Classic false bottom that comes with the BC Brew Kettles? I would bet that if you could resize your basket feet to the size of the false bottom you would be all good. I really like the BC pots. The .8 steel as well as the setup they offer for their brew kettle line seems perfect for apartment stove top BIAB. The 8 gallon brew kettle in particular.

Problems aside, your pot looks sweet. Nice job!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #28
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetexan View Post
We tend to make things more complicated than it needs to be!
Winner, winner!

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #29
MrWildcat2U
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just throwing this out there, my bag and grains just drape over the element. I use a 5500W ULWD element, a PID w/auto-tune and full time recirc. I've never scorched grain or messed up my bag.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 35

WastedCider, Bayou makes some good stuff and I guess they now make a false bottom with a handle that had a kind of hinge. It’s like the handle on baskets. Unfortunately they only make it for the 62 quart size. BC also makes baskets with feet on them, but again not for the 82 quart size.

Mr., Wildcat, I imagine that having a false bottom or a basket in your brew pot is only for peace of mind. I have also heard that putting a bag on, over, or near to the element, will not have negative consequences. I think that it’s only for the peace of mind. It would also depend on your personal brewing style. If a system is not fully automated, then it would be alright to have the bag sit on the element for sometime while a person sits there and monitor the batch. On the other hand if you’re using a herms system, with tempeture controlled PIDs on a control box, it might be advisable to use a basket or a false bottom. In which case having the bag sit on the heat stick might not be desirable.

It’s just my idea, I would rather be safe than sorry. I have never used a bag over the element method to brew, so I have no experience with this.

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields
Kegged: two heartednot, cascade, ale, pumpkin ale, rye ale.
Bottled: Mambo in your mouth,
Primary: imperal brown
Secondary: two hearednot, 2 fisted IPA, chimay white, breakfast stout

Quick Reply