Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bg-14 orifice at high altitude

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
jphebbie2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Bg-14 orifice at high altitude

So I just got my bg-14 burner and am working on mounting it up. I have a 15psi regulator which I know is not optimal but it should put off enough heat for my needs.

My question is about orifice size. I live at 8000 feet in CO. Will I need to change my orifice size from the standard one that came with my burner? Or will leaning out the air mix be enough?

I always had soot problems with my turkey fryer cheapo burner and am hoping to avoid that as well as make 10gal batches easier with my new banjo burner.

Thanks
Jp-

On Tap: - dry stout on nitro
- barrel aged flanders red
- Rye pale ale
- dry cider
- pumkin ale
aging: - bourbon barrel RIS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1353 Times on 1095 Posts

Trust me, even 10 psi of propane to one of these burners is nothing to sneeze at. I doubt I've ever had to run even half that pressure to get a good burn going. Of course, it's not just the pressure but the pressure at volume that really counts, but I don't have any way of knowing what those numbers add up to.

I'm at 305 ASL, and have BG14s running on the 0-10 psi adjustable regs that came with them. The air shutters are right in the middle of their travel which gives a perfect flame from my usual max heat setting down to a purring simmer.

With as much air shutter travel left to the open side I think you'll likely be fine without messing about with orifice sizing...

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply