Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been overnight soaking my Better Bottles in hot PBW solution since I bought them 8 years ago, and they all still look as new as the day I received them.
Same here, although mine aren't quite that old.

I can't even see why people mess with a rag and shaking and what not. Fill up with hot oxyclean/PBW, let soak overnight, dump it out, done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #32
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMontanaAlum
I started with Better Bottles and have now moved to glass. I had two BBs develop hairline cracks in the bottom after only a few uses. I contacted the manufacturer and was told that caustic cleaning agents like PBW can do this if exposed for more than a few minutes. Careful what recommendations you take from this forum as I see someone above recommended an overnight PBW soak.
That seems like a cop out by the company...for a defect bottle IMO...people have been using the PBW / Oxi clean method for ever first time I've heard of that

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #33
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I went from glass to all BB's a couple if years ago ' can't see ever going back. I started cleaning w/ B-Brite in hit water ( 1 Tbsp/gal) with no problems other than an occasional gentle brushing.
My SWMBO & kids gave me a Marks carboy/keg washer for Christmas & it's really great since I can clean kegs, lines, & carboys.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #34
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I don't care if I have to ferment in an old boot that I found on the side of the road! After a friend of mine almost bled out after severing his femoral artery due to a brand new glass carboy falling to pieces while he was simply carrying it, I gave all of my glass away and will never use them again!

Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #35
Dixon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
I don't care if I have to ferment in an old boot that I found on the side of the road! After a friend of mine almost bled out after severing his femoral artery due to a brand new glass carboy falling to pieces while he was simply carrying it, I gave all of my glass away and will never use them again!
That's actually why when i graduated from buckets i didn't go glass. I'd seen too many gashes and stitches on here from the glass. I won't argue that either is better than the other and even if better bottles were truely 'worse' i'd still go with them. I really hate the thought of hurting myself and my copay will buy me another better bottle.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #36
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

i dropped my betterbottle when i was dumping out the oxy on saturday.. probably the first time i've done that in 2 years of brewing, but it landed on my foot so i am so glad that it wasn't glass.. that in itself has made it worthwhile

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #37
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markd27 View Post
Same here, although mine aren't quite that old.

I can't even see why people mess with a rag and shaking and what not. Fill up with hot oxyclean/PBW, let soak overnight, dump it out, done.
It takes about 2 cups of water, a rag, and 30 seconds of swirling instead of 6 gallons and waiting overnight. Different strokes

Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #38
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

question to better bottlers.

if you hold your nose to your clean and sanitized 6 gallon BB that you have used for batch after batch, what do you smell?

i am moving away from my bucket because it does not have a neutral smell.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #39
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac
question to better bottlers.

if you hold your nose to your clean and sanitized 6 gallon BB that you have used for batch after batch, what do you smell?

i am moving away from my bucket because it does not have a neutral smell.
Once mine are cleaned and thoroughly rinsed with cold water, they have no lingering odors what so ever. Even after they've dried and have been stored they have no odor. When I brewed in buckets, no matter how much I cleaned them, there was always some residual smell.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #40
AlCophile
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Folks:
Even if a small amt of odor remains, it's a few parts per BILLION. Not to worry.
Using a sponge/rag and a small amt of sanitizer is better: it is cheaper; you will be more likely to finish the job. Why, you ask, is this important?
PET, polyethyleneterephthalate, BBs, is a polyester. Esters can be hydrolyzed(cleaved by water), and the reaction is accelerated by: acid OR base, time, and ESPECIALLY elevated temperature. You could dissolve some of the inner surface of the 'boy.
Just for S&Gs, get a piece of nylon, not an ester, but an amide, close enuf for our purposes, and soak it in warm acid or lye.
PS: It is unfortunate that the same word: polyethylene, appears in both PET and plain old polyethylene. It is misleading. Old poly is highly resistant to chemicals. PET, well, just be careful.

Quick Reply