LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #21
Jeepinctbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 232

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=11875

I use this stuff, works awesome. I just put a gallon of warm water in a shake it . Everything comes right out

Primary- AHS our special holiday ale mini mash
Secondary- Northern brewer oatmeal stout mini mash
On tap- Redhook Esb clone
Bottled-Shining star pale ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #22
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem
TIP: if you do a full Oxiclean soak, instead of just pouring out that 6 gallons of oxiclean...USE IT TO DO A LOAD OF LAUNDRY! I just pour it in my clothes washer, turn it on the hot wash cycle so my water is at least warm when mixed with the 6 gallons of oxiclean. Waste not!
I can't imagine what my wife would say if I dumped trub gunk in with the wash!
On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepinctbrewer View Post
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=11875

I use this stuff, works awesome. I just put a gallon of warm water in a shake it . Everything comes right out
Not to hijack, but I've done some searching on this product and can't get a clear answer. What exactly is this stuff?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
I can't imagine what my wife would say if I dumped trub gunk in with the wash!
If you rinse out the better bottle before you do the Oxiclean soak it will only be minimul trub into your wash. I wash my own clothes.

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #25
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k

Not to hijack, but I've done some searching on this product and can't get a clear answer. What exactly is this stuff?
From the description it sounds pbw or oxy like. Doing the math this stuff is about 44 cents per oz, pbw is about 50 cents per oz (both are online prices that don't include shipping). Oxyclean free is about 17 cents per oz, easy to find at Walmart, grocery stores, etc, works just as well as pbw in my experience, and the rate of use is the same, about an oz per gallon. This is why I switched to oxyclean.
On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #26
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
From the description it sounds pbw or oxy like. Doing the math this stuff is about 44 cents per oz, pbw is about 50 cents per oz (both are online prices that don't include shipping). Oxyclean free is about 17 cents per oz, easy to find at Walmart, grocery stores, etc, works just as well as pbw in my experience, and the rate of use is the same, about an oz per gallon. This is why I switched to oxyclean.
Actually, the fact it says "alkaline" would mean it's closer to lye or potash unless they're completely lying about what it is.

They also list BrewVint Cleanitizer, which clearly states it's a oxygen based cleaner. That would be your Oxiclean/PBW knockoff.

I doubt that they'd have two different oxygen cleaners with different names.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k

Actually, the fact it says "alkaline" would mean it's closer to lye or potash unless they're completely lying about what it is.

They also list BrewVint Cleanitizer, which clearly states it's a oxygen based cleaner. That would be your Oxiclean/PBW knockoff.

I doubt that they'd have two different oxygen cleaners with different names.
Also to consider if it cleans and sanitizes in one step. I'm not a chemist I just look at what is the least cost, quickest, most efficient way to get my brew stuff clean and so far that's definitely oxyclean.
Q.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

+1 on oxy.. i only ever use half a scoop but fill it up to the tippy top.. sometimes accidentally leaving it full for a couple days (that reminds me, i may still have one full in my laundry tub) and never had a problem.. i have 5 six gallon BBs and the most i ever have to do is put a rag in and swirl around a bit.. i used rice a couple times as well for a stubborn stain from a 5 month RIS ferment..

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 02-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMontanaAlum View Post
I started with Better Bottles and have now moved to glass. I had two BBs develop hairline cracks in the bottom after only a few uses.

I contacted the manufacturer and was told that caustic cleaning agents like PBW can do this if exposed for more than a few minutes. Careful what recommendations you take from this forum as I see someone above recommended an overnight PBW soak.
PBW contains a large percentage of sodium carbonate (washing soda) which makes it highly alkaline. The sodium percarbonate (the oxygen releasing component) will release oxygen and also "reduce" to sodium carbonate in that process.

Another main ingredient in PBW is sodium meta-silicate, a trisodium phosphate (TSP) substitute. Phosphates are on the s**t list.

These 3 main ingredients are highly alkaline, giving PBW its cleaning power and a high pH (around 12).
I would not call this "caustic." e.g., there is NO sodium hydroxide in it.

Without seeing it, the hairline cracking you experience may be what is commonly known as "crazing" in plastics. Certain (organic) solvents are known to cause crazing in plastics. The cause of crazing here may be a combination of high alkalinity and high temperatures, or other physical/chemical "stress" related effects.

As we all have experienced at some point in time, manufacturers are usually not very forthcoming when asking the pesky details of their products or solutions when problems arise, and the method often used to try to get rid of the pests is brush-off or swat.

I've never used Better Bottles or similar plastics in brewing, in fear of scratching them over time, and long-term product stability. Issues like this make me want to stay away from them even more.
Preparing: 2'd Clone | Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone | ESB
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @ Free State Homebrew Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Black Butte Porter Clone | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 02-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #30
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been overnight soaking my Better Bottles in hot PBW solution since I bought them 8 years ago, and they all still look as new as the day I received them.

Quick Reply