Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > better bottle vs glass carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #11
pretzelb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicious View Post
I've been trying to decide whether to get a glass carboy or a better bottle. BBs seem so much better because they won't break if you drop them and aren't as heavy. Is there any real advantage in going glass?

Is getting a ported Better Bottle with the extra $44 you'd spend on getting the racking adapter w/ highflow valve?
I've never tried glass but one advantage is most are 6.5 instead of the max 6g for BB. That extra space can be nice for when your brew foams over.

I think biggest advantage of glass is that it's glass and you just know for sure no matter what it's not going to mess up your brew. Only way glass fails you is when it's busted in pieces. That isn't to say that BB isn't just as safe, just that it's way more obvious with glass.

IMO the ports are worth it if you have the right set up. If you can use them how they are intended, and have a totally closed system, it's worth it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #12
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Moved from pails to BB for fermenting..now have 4

Love the BB, light and easy to work with..except for some challenging cleaning routines ... you can't just start wailing with a carboy brush, so I soak in Oxiclean, and mostly it works overnight. Vigorous rocking usually does the trick.

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 AM   #13
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 75

"my favorite drawback of the BB is scratching". I am always puzzled when I read about someone scratching the inside of their BB because of cleaning. I simply add 1 cup of oxy to a BB filled with hot water, allow it to sit (overnight if the BB is really dirty) and then empty it via the carboy stand. Rinse until all the oxy residue is gone. Nothing to clean out and it sparkles. I then hit it with Star San, allow the SS to sanitize, empty the BB out and cover the top with loose fitting Saran Wrap. Ready for the next batch. I followed the same procedure when I cleaned my glass carboys. Montanaandy

Old 12-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #14
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

+1 on not scrubbing your BB. Oxyclean does just fine, if you even need that. Just rinsing it with some hot water after I'm done bottling/racking is usually enough to keep mine clean. I don't even own a carboy brush.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPall View Post
+1 on not scrubbing your BB. Oxyclean does just fine, if you even need that. Just rinsing it with some hot water after I'm done bottling/racking is usually enough to keep mine clean. I don't even own a carboy brush.
You can put a few qts of hot water in it and vigorously shake it (not recommended with glass) and that will clean the BB well for the most part. Often there is some krausen stuck to the upper part of the BB. I put in a gallon of hot water and one oz or so of PBW. I invert the BB into a bowl in the sink and let it sit for an hour. Rinse, and you're ready to go. Definitely, no brush.

Quick Reply