*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Better Bottle Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
evandy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Better Bottle Problem

I recently switched to better bottles, and really like them. However, I've got a problem! I have the made-for-better-bottle snap-on blue carry handle, which is advertised as Good to carry the bottle while it's full. However, I have now had a full-of-wort bottle slip out of the handle and crash on the ground twice. It seems like the neck is deforming and slipping straight down.

I used to use a standard rubber stopper, but recently bought one of the insanely-expensive hard plastic caps made for better-bottles to try and keep this from happening again. Is this likely to work? Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I also use better bottles. I carry them in my arms. I've never used the snap on handle.

Rubber stoppers work OK. The orange carboy caps also work well. These stoppers are the best http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...793266dd4a9d6e and much less expensive then the BB brand plastic type.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3374 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 2883

rubber stoppers are a pain. I've only used the bungs (see post just above) and they are the best.

That blue carry thing didn't look too hot. If you want something better, just get metal ones with the orange rubber coating that tighten around the neck with a wingnut. I have one of those attached to a BB and it's not going to slip. I still don't think it is a good idea to carry any kind of carboy by the neck, but the handle gives you something to grab that is not slippery.

It's on the middle carboy here:

Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I carry mine around in a milk crate. That way they don't deform when you pick them up.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo155 View Post
I carry mine around in a milk crate. That way they don't deform when you pick them up.
I do that with both the Betterbottles and the one glass carboy I own.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

+1 on using the bung provided in the link. I only hold my BBs by the neck is when I'm just picking it up. Otherwise, it's in my arms and held closer to me than SWMBO.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 10-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

lastly, if your gonna use better bottles you really need to have a plan for blow off. They are just to small to contain 5.25 gallons of fermenting beer with a basic air lock. I get a huge blow off on every batch. I use the orange caps and jam a 1/2" ID tube on the fatter of the two openings.

I did a 10 gallon batch of Arrogant Bastard clone recently and had the mosy explosive blow off. both tubes clogged and the caps flew off. Made a huge mess of my fermentation fridge. Cleaned all up hooked every thing back up and it freaking did it again the next day! Two explosions in one batch! Hot damn that is gonna be one hell of a beer!

Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
evandy
Recipes 

Well, according to the BB website, they are OK to be picked up, when full, by the neck.

My blow-off solution is Fermcap. It works very well.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I do that with both the Betterbottles and the one glass carboy I own.
+1. I have a capacity of four BBs in my fermentation chamber, and use four milk crates to carry them down from my brew room (kitchen).

Old 10-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Whenever I move a full Better Bottle, I take out the drilled stopper, and replace it with a SOLID stopper...NO hole. That prevents the bottom of the bottle from pulling down and trying to reshape the entire bottle. When the bottom pulls downward, the neck is pulled, as well, and the slip-on handle can come out. Using a solid stopper prevents the pull-down.

glenn514

Quick Reply