Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Better Bottle as Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
abracadabra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Any #10 stopper will fit a Better-Bottle. I like the extremely expensive, proprietary Better-Bottle accessories myself.
Why? I'm assuming you've tried both since you know what size stopper fits.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
Doug the owner of the LHBS on the southside of Atlanta "Just Brew It" sells rubber stoppers that fit better bottles. They are a lot cheaper (about $1) than the proprietary stuff that better bottles sell. then you can use any old air lock or put an elbow in the stopper and hose for a blowoff tube. He has the better bottles fittings if you'd rather spend the $. I pretty sure he'd ship. 770-719-0222.
And he will be closed for the month of May.
I actually live in Atlanta, too bad Fayetteville is way too far for me to drive.

I have a stopper and think it works well.

Quote:
I think the benifits are that you don't get any suckback and that it is not rubber so there is no chance of flavor contamination. Too expensive for me, I make one some day, it is just a simple check valve.

I think I am going to just buy a new bucket since I have the lid and won't have to worry with a blow off tube.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
I like using Better-Bottles as a system. To use one alone is great, but as a system, using the accessories, it allows me to perform an oxygen free transfer from primary to secondary. The CO2 produced during primary is used to purge the air out of the secondary using Better-Bottle's ported closures, racking adapters, valves, dry air locks, 90˚ barb fittings and a couple of lengths of tubing. After the primary, a quick switch of the tubing allows for oxygen free transfer. It may very well be overkill, but I like it!

I found a supplier that specially drills a #10 stopper in order to fit a length of 5/8 tubing for use as a blow off tube. That is the only reason I know what size stopper fits. That blow off setup can be found at Hearts Homebrew.

Honestly, when I first discovered Better-Bottles, the thought never occurred to me to use anything other than all of the solid PET, o-ringed accessories made exclusively for them. It just seemed to make more sense to use them as a whole system. Again, that is just one persons opinion.

A detailed description of the above diagram can be found at Better-Bottle's website.

The bags of water are just to allow me to see the bubble rate for the Dry Trap Air Locks.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #14
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

that's a pretty nifty setup you got there!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply