Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Better Bottle or Glass Carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
grimzella
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default Better Bottle or Glass Carboy

I cant seem to figure this issue i have. Plastic is plastic.. it will scratch, it may harbor infection, maybe off flavor ect. So why do i read that better bottles are more in favor of GLASS carboys? Won't better bottles still get scratched? I read that the main complaints of glass carboys are BREAKAGE & injury. This seems strange to me.. if thats the only problem with GLASS carboys, accepted, i will be careful. as far as getting cut and bleeding.. i have stitched myself up quite a few times before.. and have used cat-tail or black pepper to clot the wound if i have no fishing line or thread. Beer seems more importaint to me than a little boo-boo or some pain. Is there any other reason to use one over the other? To me Glass would be better that plastic for obvious reasons. For one... i think beer in plastic bottles taste like crap compared to glass. and cans.. well forget it. i'll pass. Help my noobish brain figure this one out.

Thanks,
Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I pretty much only use a carboy for wine. Beer gets fermented in buckets

Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I've never scratched the inside of a better bottle.....How would you?????

A fermenter is a fermenter is a fermenter, glass, plastic, carboy, bucket, jerry can, keg, milk jug, ceramic crock, glass hurricane jar, stainless steel or plastic conicals, pet food storage vessels (vittle vaults), HD or Lowe's buckets, frosting buckets, water jugs, the old Mr Beer jug...All of those and anything you can think of, all work perfectly fine, and have been used by hundreds if not thousands of brewers...

No one type is better or worse than any other...good beer or crappy beer can be made in all of them, dependant onthe brewer, NOT what it's fermented in...

It's really just a matter of preference, nothing more....There's tons of arguments about glass vs plastic and whatever, but they're nothing more than internet masturbation....the yeast don't give a flying ****ady what kind of container the wort it is swimming in.

The biggest thing is whether or not the material is food safe. Generally speaking where plastic is concerned we look at <1> and <2> recycling codes, and whether it can hold the volume we're fermenting or storing the beer/wine/mead/cider in...

Anything else really is irrevelent. Just what works for you. Many of us don't like glass, there's a ton of discussions about injuries from them breaking, or just wasted beer.

I have a dozen different containers I ferment in, everything from 1 gallon wine jugs, to 6 gallon better bottles...and honestly I don't have a preference to what I use...I just grab what's empty.

Just use what you want and don't complain about what others would choose to use, because honestly it doesn't matter....Because for everything you don't like about plastic, thousands of folks hate glass for whatever reason, so it's really pointless.

Why is it that new brewers always think this stuff matters? Anything that is a -vs- really is just ABOUT PREFERENCE.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Yeah it's just choice. Although the little boo-boos you referred to are occasionally giant gaping gashes.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPepe View Post
Yeah it's just choice. Although the little boo-boos you referred to are occasionally giant gaping gashes.
Yeah that's probably one of the most ignorant and offensive things I've seen written in a long time on here.

I bet the folks with severed tendons mentioned in THIS thread, some of them members here, won't think highly of some noob calling their multiple surgeries to fix tendon and other SERIOUS injuries, "Boo Boos."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

NineMilBill Likes This 
Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
grimzella
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah that's probably one of the most ignorant and offensive things I've seen written in a long time on here.

I bet the folks with severed tendons mentioned in THIS thread, some of them members here, won't think highly of some noob calling their multiple surgeries to fix tendon and other SERIOUS injuries, "Boo Boos."
wow.. i guess my noob question just got trolled. sry for asking guys

Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
grimzella
Recipes 

altho my main question was answered. It didnt need to be so harsh :P

"hence the "NOOB"

Old 03-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimzella
altho my main question was answered. It didnt need to be so harsh :P
That wasn't harsh! I have only been here a very short time and have seen this question like 5 times.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #9
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Better bottles don't scratch because they are hydrophobic, stuff doesn't stick to them the way it does to glass, so you don't need to scrub them like you have to scrub glass.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3043 Times on 1916 Posts
Likes Given: 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimzella View Post
i gave him a thumbs up for his answer.. it was fast and right on the money.. as far as cocky.. lol we are men. its in our blood.
Fishing line? pepper? WTF are you talkiing about. BTW, women brewers here too. Don't make me sic Yooper on you.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-p...alysis-109318/

That's all you need to know. Make your own decision like everyone else here did.
And you're waiting there, not a care in the world

Quick Reply