Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Better Bottle in Europe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Vels
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Better Bottle in Europe

Hi

Anybody know if it is possible to get "Better Bottles" or similar here in Europe ?

Cheers
Jakob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
padair
Recipes 

You can get them in the UK, though with the shipping it'd probably be as cheap to order them from the USA

Old 02-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
durak
Recipes 

Office spring water dispensers use 5 gallon plastic bottles. Eden springs etc. Have been meaning to contact them myself and ask if they could be purchased.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by durak
Office spring water dispensers use 5 gallon plastic bottles. Eden springs etc. Have been meaning to contact them myself and ask if they could be purchased.
You'll need to make sure that they are made out of the same material as Better Bottles. Most water bottles in the US are made out of a type of plastic that is not suitable as a fermentation vessel.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 02-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
durak
Recipes 

How so? They hold the water for extended periods of time, why wouldn' they hold fermenting beer?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Different type of plastic.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
KiltLifter
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Look on the bottom of the bottle you are considering. The Better Bottles are PET. Water bottles from one company around here are PET and that's what I use. I looked at one (with a molded in handle) at Home Depot and it was NOT PET, so be sure to look.

PET IS oxygen permeable, but the Better Bottle and other PET water bottles are thick enough that the permeation is negligible for the amount of time the beer is in it.

For a mead or barley wine that is in the carboy for months, I use glass, just in case.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltLifter
Look on the bottom of the bottle you are considering. The Better Bottles are PET. Water bottles from one company around here are PET and that's what I use. I looked at one (with a molded in handle) at Home Depot and it was NOT PET, so be sure to look.

PET IS oxygen permeable, but the Better Bottle and other PET water bottles are thick enough that the permeation is negligible for the amount of time the beer is in it.

For a mead or barley wine that is in the carboy for months, I use glass, just in case.
+1 on this info...Look on the bottom.

If it has a <7> that is polycarbonate NOT PET or PETE.

Besides what kiltlifter said, Polycarbonate uses BPA (bisphenol-A) in it's production. BPA may mimic the natural female sex hormone estradiol. In animal research it has been linked to female reproductive disorders, breast and prostate cancer, and attention and developmental problems.

Basically polycarbonate bottles have the potentiality to leach stuff into your water or beer...

I just found a home water purification company online that switched to shipping better bottles with their filter systems, because of the difficulty of finding ones that weren't polycarbonate.

I'm betting in the near future more and more water distributors will be going the same route because of all the press about estradiol in water bottles, and we'll be able to find more and more Pet water jugs at the big box stores then there are now...

And since it looks like the Better Bottle people are one of the few producers of the product, more companies will be jumping online to fill the need. Which of course means the prices will go down.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by durak
How so? They hold the water for extended periods of time, why wouldn' they hold fermenting beer?
Oxidation risk. The PET that Better Bottles are made out of has negligible gas permeability, so they're a suitable alternative to glass for medium- to long-term aging. Since water storage and dispensing doesn't have to worry about gas permeability the containers used are often made of a more permeable plastic, making them unsuitable for anything other than short-term storage of liquids where oxidation is an issue.

It's debatable whether the typical aging time involved in brewing beer is long enough for the more permeable containers to pose a significant oxidation risk, and in the past various people have indicated that they didn't find it to be a problem.

Personally, I prefer to use something that I know won't ruin my batch rather than saving a few currency units and taking on the additional risk.

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

Old 02-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
padair
Recipes 

Back on topic - I just checked and Beertech have the 23 litre Better Bottle in stock, though they're £11.99 - shipping will depend on how many you order, but it's £9.00 to ship one and £36 to ship 2
They only have 2 in stock so if you are thinking of buying them, place 2 seperate orders.

According to xe.com £1.00 = 9.85DKK = US$1.94

Quick Reply