The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Better Bottle Defect or Manufacturing Mark?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
danthebugman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Better Bottle Defect or Manufacturing Mark?

In a recent order from NB I got a 5 gal Better Bottle so I can start doing fun things with secondary fermentation. It arrived and when I unpacked it I noticed there was a weird squiggle/pucker looking area in the plastic. Not sure how to explain it other than that and it doesn't seem I can post pics so probably hard to visualize. Little concerned about this possibly being a source of infection. So I e-mailed NB about it, sent them some pics and they just ended up replacing it. Great customer service. So the new one arrives yesterday. I unpack it and same squiggle/pucker looking area in the plastic, but in a different spot on the carboy. So I think it may just be a mark from the manufacturing process except I checked out a friend's last night while I was at his house picking up my brew kettle and his is pristine...no squiggle/pucker mark.

So here I am at a cross roads. I don't want to be a pain about something that isn't going to be an issue (like if it's a manufacturing mark and isn't going to affect my beer), but I have some concerns about potential to negatively impact my beer. This afternoon I poured some StarSan into one of the Better Bottles and swished it around pretty good then watched as the suds slid down the side. They seemed to snag a little on the squiggle/pucker mark which to me indicates that there's a rough point that might pose a problem.

I pose my conundrum to you more experienced and possibly less paranoid folk. Has anyone had a strange looking area on their Better Bottle when they got it and if so did you use it? Am I just freaking out for no reason and as long as I take normal cleaning/sanitation measures it'll probably be all right? Should I contact NB again about the issue?

Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
s4l
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The easiest way to post pictures is to get a photobucket account and upload them there. Once uploaded, photobucket provides a link to post here so we can see your picture.

As for your question, I've never used one but I cannot imagine that it would affect the beer at all.

Winter Warmer

**In Primary**
Empty. :(

**Bottled**
NB Irish Red - 02 Apr 13
BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde - 28 Apr 13

# of Brews: 2 // Total # of Gallons: 10

Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I worked at Midwest for a year and saw a lot of them like that. Almost looks like the plastic sagged a bit in one spot. Unless it's way worse than I'm used to where it's creating crevices you'll be just fine.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
danthebugman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for responding. I'm going to be brewing my next batch this weekend probably and I'll see how it goes.

Dan

Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If they'll replace it, then I'd return it. Bad quality control is bad quality control - no reason you should have to take the hit for it (or ruin a batch because of it)

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
zyx345
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Had a similar experience and mine has been holding up fine, knock on wood. I emailed BB and they told me its common in the maufacturing process and isn't a concern.

This is the post I put up: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-...ctions-381379/

Quick Reply