Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Better Bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
jay672
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Better Bottle

How does everyone like the better bottle carboys? Got my first one today and have a brew in there now and i love the lightweight but what about sanitizing because its plastic? I need 1 or 2 more and i want ti stik with them just worry about durability and sanitizing. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I love my Better-Bottles. They are a cinch to clean and sanitize. NEVER attempt to clean the inside with any kind of brush! You will scratch and ruin them! To clean, I rinse out whatever gunk I can with water. Then I add enough PBW for about 5 gallons and add about 2 gallons of hot water. If there is any stuck on krausen and junk I insert a wash cloth. Then I shake the crap out of it until all the stuck on stuff is removed. The action of the rubbing of the cloth, hot water and PBW have never failed to get off even the most stuck on crud! Then I fill it up to the top with hot water and let it sit overnight. Dump it out, a thorough rinse and it's done.

To sanitize, I pour in about a gallon of Star-San solution and roll it around for a couple of minutes to coat the entire interior surface. And that's it.

John

Old 01-20-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
Cool Hand
Recipes 

Do you have to let the inside of the bottle dry all the way after sanitizing before racking?

Sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have 4 BBs. They are great.

I used a bottle brush in the necks. Otherwise I just shake them very hard with cleaning solution in them. It gets them clean. Its important to clean carboys before the junk has a chance to dry out.

I find it takes a while for a BB to dry out. I wash them again with sterilizer before I use them.

I primary ferment in open buckets.

Getting back into brewing...

Last edited by brewman !; 01-20-2007 at 03:17 AM.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand
Do you have to let the inside of the bottle dry all the way after sanitizing before racking?
No, I never have. I haven't even considered allowing it to dry completely. I sanitize a few hours in advance and just seal up the Better-Bottle until I'm ready to siphon the wort in.

John

Old 01-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Love mine!

Töpperwein Brewery

Old 01-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I bought a couple of BBs 6 months ago (on Johnsma22's glowing recommendation) and I am still trying to find one negative thing to say about them. They're great!

Old 01-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand
Nope. Not with Starsan anyway. I pour my Wort or apple juice right on top of the bubbles. Here's how I let it drain though.

Better Bottles Rock!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 01-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I love how you can put really hot water into a BB and shake the hell out of it and not have to worry about breaking it. I can get some serious cleaning action going on doing this. I have an undrilled #10 stopper just for this. People say that the plastic is less sanitary than glass, but I can clean plastic better because I can handle it like this.

Getting back into brewing...

Old 01-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Cleaning right after emptying is essential. Otherwise a soak with Oxyclean Free takes care of any build up.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply