Betadine has an Expiration date?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzyvba

Reaction score
I found a 1 gallon Betadine for wound and skin for surgeries at a medical store. However, there was an expiration date on it 02-2010. the guy at the store said Betadine doesn't expire, and I shouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure to buy it or not.

any idea about expiration date on betadine?
Help
Thank you

Just about everything created for medical use has an expiration date on it... but for betadine you can safely ignore the date. If you leave the betadine open for several years, it will probably crystalize and precipitate out of solution. But it isn't like you are using the betadine as an ingredient (I hope!)... you are just using it to sanitize, and it will work for that purpose for decades after the expiration.

Don't know if you need as +1 on this, but if so,
+1
I've used the same bottle for years with no bad results. - Dwain

I found a 1 gallon Betadine for wound and skin for surgeries at a medical store. However, there was an expiration date on it 02-2010. the guy at the store said Betadine doesn't expire, and I shouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure to buy it or not.

Definitely pay attention to the date~!! Betadine should never be consumed as a beverage after the expiration date.

All that aside: Are you using the stuff for starch test or as idophore?
Reason I ask is that there are so many easier, cheaper and effective sanitizers.

paradoc

Dwain

Cliff897

Thank you guys for your time to reply.

Cliff, yes I think I'm going to use it for starch test AND as Idophore plus it's the only "sanitizer" available in my home town.

Thank you again guys. much appreciated. :rockin:

Cliff, yes I think I'm going to use it for starch test AND as Idophore plus it's the only "sanitizer" available in my home town.

Then please let me steer you to a NO RINSE, cheap as hell, and easy as pie (easier than pie) sanitizer. It's a stone cold killer.

One ounce bleach
Five Gallons water
One ounce vinegar.
I like to make it a tad stringer only 4 gallons water but at the 5 gallon solution it's a no-rinse sanitizer that is every bit as effective as Star San: so says Chuck Talley the inventor of Star San.

One ounce bleach
Five Gallons water
One ounce vinegar.
I like to make it a tad stringer only 4 gallons water but at the 5 gallon solution it's a no-rinse sanitizer that is every bit as effective as Star San: so says Chuck Talley the inventor of Star San.

Cliff, do you have a link/references for this? Interested in learning more. Have used 10% bleach in water as a countertop sanitizer in lab and kitchen for YEARS. But not sure I want it coming in contact with my beer... Also, presume you are using "plain old bleach". Lots of the stuff they sell in the supermarket as "bleach" now has tons of other stuff in it.

Thanks!

Cliff, do you have a link/references for this?

Why yes I do:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/charlie-talley-five-star-chemicals-notes-brewcasts-58928/
I posted these pod casts and WortMonger did every one the enormous kindness of doing a nice review and expurgated the highlights for faster access

Have used 10% bleach in water as a countertop sanitizer in lab and kitchen for YEARS.

I was using straight 6% chlorine from a bleach bottle for years and years thinking it was killing everything. Chuck Talley says, not so fast~!! Ya gotta adjust the hypochlorous acid first.

But not sure I want it coming in contact with my beer..
That's what lots of folks say. But they are not speaking from experience.
Next time you bottle set aside a few bottles that you cleaned with the bleach vinegar solution and fill 'em like normal and set them aside. Maybe mark them so you can REALLY sniff out the chlorine.
You'll see.

Also, presume you are using "plain old bleach". Lots of the stuff they sell in the supermarket as "bleach" now has tons of other stuff in it.

Get the stuff with no stinky crap or softeners etc in it. Chlorox sells a good one. Theirs is a higher bleach concentrate than old school 6% I think they go to 8% check the label.

Back