best way to filter before pumping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhltechie

Reaction score
hi all,

My stand is pretty much done. I STILL cannot find used kegs at less than half an arm. I still have 3 recipes of extract left so I am using the stand to brew but still doing extract. I am using my 30QT polarware that I put a spout on for my boil. Later it will be my HLT. My next brew I want to start trying out my march pump and chiller together. problem being I don't want to buy a false bottom for my current kettle as it will be a HLT later....but I cant pump straight out now cause I always end up with particulate i need to filter before entering the carboy that I dont want to get stuck in the pump or the chiller...or end up in my fermenter. Would a bazooka screen be best for this? When I ordered my spout I did get a dip tube with it, so would a manual whirlpool work? ideas would be great.

Thanks!

M

Depends on how much particulate you are talking about. Big hop bills can make this difficult. If it's not too much stuff you could use a section of washing machine stainless braid as many do for their mash tuns. If you have a lot of stuff you might search for hop taco, you can make your own from some 30x30 stainless mesh sheets

Depends on how much particulate you are talking about. Big hop bills can make this difficult. If it's not too much stuff you could use a section of washing machine stainless braid as many do for their mash tuns. If you have a lot of stuff you might search for hop taco, you can make your own from some 30x30 stainless mesh sheets

thanks for the reply. it's really not a lot. since i am doing extract my grain is limited. It's mostly hop particulate....i use a DIY hop strainer during my boil but still have some that i usually run through a strainer doing my old way of pouring the wort into a funnel.

What is the big deal with getting a little hops in your primary? The reason we use two vessels for fermentation (I use one because I have a conical and can dump the crap) is so we can rack off from the first fermenter and leave the crap behind.

What is the big deal with getting a little hops in your primary? The reason we use two vessels for fermentation (I use one because I have a conical and can dump the crap) is so we can rack off from the first fermenter and leave the crap behind.

thats not the big deal. the big deal is clogging up my pump and or plate chiller.

I am going to use the hanging hop bag tomorrow plugged my plate chiller the first try last week

Pump should be fine with pellet hops but leaf would get the impeller stuck. The plate chiller would clog up with pellet hops.

I am going to use the hanging hop bag tomorrow plugged my plate chiller the first try last week

I use this already...the paint strainer DIY put on this board. cannot remember by who. it's worked well but I still get some hop sludge. Really dont wanna get my plate chiller stuck during the process. A friend of mine that does AG brews uses the whirlpool method and it seems to work well for him. Probably give that a go first as it cost me nothing to try!

I'm toying with the bags in this thread in comment #4, either rigged as shown or in a hopback/grant for hop pellet debris.

thats the exact one that I made. i LOVE it. I cannot stand those little hop bags where you have to untie the sticky strings.

Back