best way to clean brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
i have a stainless steel pot i have used in my last three boils and was wondering what are some good ways to clean it. i normally clean it as soon as im done pitching the yeast. the pot is the first thing i clean . i use a small amount of dish detergent and make sure not to scratch anything. well lately i have been noticeing burn spot on the bottom of the pot. i have been trying to clean it the best that i can. my main consern is if it will mess up my future brews.

Not only will Bar Keepers Friend clean your stainless steel, but the oxalic acid that it contains will passivate any scratches in the steel by building up the oxide layer, preventing corrosion.

John

I just use a garden hose. If I have junk that wont come out I hit it with a green scrubie and maybe some Barkeepers Friend afterwards if I really have to scrub it hard.

johnsma22 said:
Not only will Bar Keepers Friend clean your stainless steel, but the oxalic acid that it contains will passivate any scratches in the steel by building up the oxide layer, preventing corrosion.

John
John is right on with the Bar Keepers Friend. It is very cheap at my local grocery store and with regular use all stainless will at somepoint experience either galvanic corrosion or scratches as John said. The nice thing about the oxalate is that while not as strong as nitric acid which is used in most industrial settings and stainless, the BKF is I think 10% oxalate and is sufficient enough to form that nice chromium oxide layer to provide that nice passive layer.

runhard said:
John is right on with the Bar Keepers Friend. It is very cheap at my local grocery store and with regular use all stainless will at somepoint experience either galvanic corrosion or scratches as John said. The nice thing about the oxalate is that while not as strong as nitric acid which is used in most industrial settings and stainless, the BKF is I think 10% oxalate and is sufficient enough to form that nice chromium oxide layer to provide that nice passive layer.

And now available in liquid!

old thread, but I am wondering if I need to take apart my valve to get in there a little more, or should I just let it build up? If I take it apart, are there any seals in there I need to replace? (Silicon rings, etc...). It is a weldless ball valve that came with the polarwear 8 gallon brewpot on NB.

I very very rarely ever take any valves apart to clean them, especially on the boil kettle.
Anything that's in there will be sanitized by the heat of boiling, so sanitation isn't really a concern.
One thing I will do though, is when cleaning, I will operate the valve a bunch of times while water is flowing through it to rinse anything out that may be in there. I find it more important to do this on the mash tun as any sticky wort that gets stuck in there will start to smell funky and go sour at some point. Even though even that won't really affect anything, I still prefer to keep it from getting into my precious beer.

Back