Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > best site glass and how to get it really low

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Datchew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default best site glass and how to get it really low

Currently have the couplings high enough on the keg walls that with the 90 deg turn and all in the sight glass, i hit the 5 gal mark before i see indications.
Would like to get it down lower.

Also, the 90 deg compression fitting and o-rings is kinda flimsy. What's the preferred site glass and whats the trick to put it as low as possible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

What do you have right now? My kits start reading at 2.75 gallons in a converted keg.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Datchew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
What do you have right now? My kits start reading at 2.75 gallons in a converted keg.

Here's the best pic of the location that I have. It's a T-shaped stainless piece which adds approx 1" of height above the hole through the bulkhead. Then the compression fitting adds another 1/2" of height, etc. It's just mounted too high. I end up seeing a visual indicator at 5 gallons.

I'll be welding soon and patching this hole. But while I'm relocating, I'd rather have a better setup than this big honking T-shaped stainless thing.

I'm thinking of the site glasses i've seen on the sabco rigs and similar. They're shrouded with a stainless piece of C-channel. I can pass on that, but I like that they're so small and sit so close to the keg.
Or something like this:
http://www.brew-magic.com/bm_part_sitgl_tube.html

But I'm not sure how to connect it. I could weld to the bottom I guess. Easy enough, but it would be in the path of the burner.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Datchew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I could weld this in. Anyone got a line on a part # for this little 90 compression fitting?

Sorry if this is old news guys. I'm not a frequent flyer on this board.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datchew View Post
I could weld this in. Anyone got a line on a part # for this little 90 compression fitting?
You could get something similar from BobbyM http://www.suebob.com/brew/sale/ or from Wayne at BargainFittings http://greatbargain.net/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=44_45&product_id=117.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 05-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

You could switch your ball valve and sight glass/thermo assemblies. The ball valve appears quite a bit lower. A pickup tube would allow you have the ball valve raised higher with no issues and I'm assuming you already have one.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You definitely drilled your hole too high. You would want it as close to the bottom of the wall as you can where it would still have a place to seal. My sight glass kits (early Bobby M) are welded 3/8" fittings and they read just under 2 gallons.

Quick Reply