Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best sanitizer that can be had...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Guigsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Best sanitizer that can be had...

...at a Home Depot or Lowe's? Anyone know if IODOPHOR or StarSan can be purchased outside the local homebrew shop or online? Are there other options? My local homebrew is not very close and I don't have the patience to wait for it to be shipped...

I have some c-brite that came with my homebrew kit...

There's only music, so that there's new ringtones
And it don't take no Sherlock Holmes
To see it's a little different around here
-Arctic Monkeys

/---\ /--\
/---\ /--\ /---\ /--\ /---\ /--\

Drinking: English Brown Ale,
Robust Porter, Magic Hat #9
On Deck Circle:
BananaNut Coffee Stout
...At the Plate...
nada
1stBase:
nada
2ndBase: nada

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you can't wait just use bleach until the Iodophor arrives...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Do you have a farm store nearby? You can get iodophore by the gallon for very little money.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

They have been tracking the purchase of large quanities of Iodine products recently as they are a key ingredient in methamphetamine. That's why many places like lowes or home depot no longer carry the stuff. You don't need much Iodaphor to sanitize, 1 or 2 capfulls depending on the bottle.

Bleach is the same, you don't need much, 1/4 a cup of bleach and 1/4 a cup of distilled vinegar in a 5 gallon bucket will sanitize very well and should not require rinsing.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 01-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I posted this yesterday in another thread.

Maybe at a resteraunt supply shop for the idophor (It was originally formulated for the resteraunt/bar industry.) It is also labled BTF if you go to a supply shop.

If you go to a pharmacy and there's an older pharmasist there and you talk to him about it, there may be a concentrated iodine tincture there that you dillute. But don't quote me on this. It's just that Idophor smells a lot like betadine solution.

If you have no luck and don't want to order online, then I'd read up on the correct dillution of household bleach and water. Actually the chemist who invented Starsan raved about bleach and water on an interview he did on the http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio podcast.

Scroll down till you see these links.

They are both worth listening to.[/QUOTE]

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustreking
Do you have a farm store nearby? You can get iodophore by the gallon for very little money.
Does it go by a different name at a farm store? I live near a farm n feed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Beertk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay
They have been tracking the purchase of large quanities of Iodine products recently as they are a key ingredient in methamphetamine. That's why many places like lowes or home depot no longer carry the stuff. You don't need much Iodaphor to sanitize, 1 or 2 capfulls depending on the bottle.

Bleach is the same, you don't need much, 1/4 a cup of bleach and 1/4 a cup of distilled vinegar in a 5 gallon bucket will sanitize very well and should not require rinsing.
Are you sure about the quantities on bleach to vinagar. I thought that it was supposed to be closer to 1/4 cup Bleach to 1 teaspoon Vinagar. Also, do not mix the two first. You need to put in the vinagar mix into the water then mix the bleach into the water. Vinagar and bleach make a deadly combination if not used right.

"I don't drink to find happiness. Coincidentally. I do enjoy listening to you much more after a beer or three."

Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
I posted this yesterday in another thread.

Maybe at a resteraunt supply shop for the idophor (It was originally formulated for the resteraunt/bar industry.) It is also labled BTF if you go to a supply shop.

If you go to a pharmacy and there's an older pharmasist there and you talk to him about it, there may be a concentrated iodine tincture there that you dillute. But don't quote me on this. It's just that Idophor smells a lot like betadine solution.

If you have no luck and don't want to order online, then I'd read up on the correct dillution of household bleach and water. Actually the chemist who invented Starsan raved about bleach and water on an interview he did on the http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio podcast.

Scroll down till you see these links.

They are both worth listening to.
[/QUOTE]

Betadine is Iodine it has other ingredients that BTF does not have but I feel sure it would do in a pinch.

I would just use bleach myself.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

order a big bottle of star-san. its worth the wait. If you ordered tonight from Williams Brewing, you'd probably have it Monday. use diluted bleach til then.

star-san cannot be beat.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #10
derogg
Recipes 

I use betadine. If you use bleach, make sure you rinse everything very good or else you will get off flavors in your brew from the bleach. - Dirk

Bier frisch und gut, schafft frohen Mut.

Quick Reply