Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best Purchase to Upgrade My Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Scanloni
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best Purchase to Upgrade My Rig

So I've just gotten into brewing and am currently using the standard True Brew kit with the 2 plastic buckets, auto siphon, bottling wand, etc. I'm doing partial boils in a regular 5 gal stainless kitchen pot on the stove top. So far, so good! My question is, what (in your opinion) would be the best purchase I should make to take my brewing (quality, process, enjoyment,etc) to the next level? I really enjoy it and plan on doing it for a long time.

Let's say I've got about $500 to spend. I'm thinking maybe a full boil set up would be the next logical step, right? A burner and kettle? If so, which burner, which kettle? Or is there something else that would give me more bang for my buck? Like I said, I plan on doing this consistently for a long time, so I'm looking for high quality long-term purchases. I know $500 isn't much, and it's not necessarily a limit, but a substantial upgrade in that price range would be best.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Full boil yes, IMO I would look at a Mega Pot for the kettle. I just bought a 25 gallon one and it is heavy duty. As far as the burner, it depends on your gas source. I think most people hear like the hurricane burners. I use NG jet burners. You can make a MT out of a cooler and go nice and cheap. Take a look at dennybrew.com and see his set-up. $500 could set you up for a good start. Build a good chiller and you would be set.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

In my case, I wanted to do all grain asap, but wanted to do the simplified in the bag method for mash and sparge. So, my purchases were:
1. 84 qt stainless steel pot from overstock. (can't remember the price exactly, I think less than $100).
2. Bag (5-7$ at my lhbs)
3. Propane burner (I bought a turkey fryer on sale, but see the sq14 is $45 at amazon).
4. Extra propane tank ($42, filled)

So, for $200 or so I was able to start all-grain.

An alternative, which I did right away as I already had a kegerator which had been used fir sanke style kegs, was to invest in a couple if cornys plus qd's, etc. This is a heck of a lot easier than bottling.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 12-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Surly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You, like myself began the process of building a brewery with thoughtful planning. IMHO that is part of the fun of the hobby.

Two pieces of advice, 1) Do not buy the same type of eguipment twice. Buy it right the first time. If you enjoy the hobby you may eventually want to brew ten gallon batches. Therefore, do not limit yourself to only doing five gallon today.

2) Follow the DIY forum. I have made counterflow chillers, hop bags, natural gas single tier sculpters, two tap kegerators, beer line cleaners etc, etc from learning from this community.

And if you plan in advance, you can begin picking up items on sale or on your best friend, "Craig's List" for future brewery enhancements. BTW - They never stop.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My suggestions are:
Full boil, I do electric and moved from a cheep turkey fryer the blichman burnners I have seen look awesome but I have never used one

Fermentation temperature control, brewers make wort yeast make beer, controlling your ferment will greatly improve your beer

Kegging, it makes bottling day so much less of a pain, plus it is cool to have your own beer on tap

All grain is a great option if you want to push your money farther. Each all grain brew costs less in ingredients (about half at my lhbs), letting you save up for more gear. But you need a full boil before going all grain.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I may be the odd man out here, but I'd suggest a fermentation freezer. All the other equipment can wait, but without absolute and precise temp control during fermentation the best the brewer can hope for is "good beer." (Zainachef 2010)

If you invest in a freezer then at least temp control is done and you can worry about other equipment later.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Most invaluable piece of equipment I have found thus far is my beer glass...

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 12-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
brewchez
Recipes 

Temp control before anything else, IMO. If there is money leftover then yeast management with equip for yeast starters. These two items have the biggest impact on quality in the end. If you want more gadgets for process enjoyment prone burners and kettles and chillers and all grain is next. But mastering control over fermentation as soon as possible in your brewing evolution is most important. Again just in my opinion.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
sweet_corn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Turkey fryer, kettle, kegs, cooler mash tun...

Quick Reply