New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best place to buy a Blichmann Conical?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Droot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was told my my LHBS that If they sell the fermenter lower than the minimum suggested price, Blichmann will not deal with them. She was quite nice and explained it clearly.

I ended up buying the cheap Chinese one because its all I wanted to spend. I did try to deal with the local supplier first, but...... Its not as nice and less than 1/3 the price. I would have paid a little more at the local supplier than from Flea bay, but they only sell the Blichmann. I have no problem with that and they have no problem with me going some where else.

David

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Go buy any Stihl product you'll see the high price. I could of saved over $182 on a 40.5 cc commercial grade weed wacker no cat over 40 cc, by Stihl thru out of state. No you must buy in your state and area. A set contract with the power equipment shops and Stihl. Stihl sticks it to ya big time. Granted the best product and takes a beating for many hours had to pay for it the big dollar price it sucked. Replacement parts well plastic is worth more than gold with a Stihl product. If that isn't price fixing what is it? Greed?
It isn't price fixing. If you want a cheaper chainsaw, you have plenty of options. Stihl's competition isn't trying to stick it to you either.

You mention yourself that Stihl "is the best product" , which would mean that it carries something of a premium product type of reputation. So-called premium products can demand higher prices since the consumer is paying for the higher actual and perceived quality. Look at a BMW 4 door family sedan compared to a Chevy 4 door family sedan. Both have four wheels, power windows, and a lot of gadgets. One is 10's of thousands more expensive. A premium product that attracts those who want whatever they think is "premium."

Sorry for the OT post...

I think Blichmann products look great, I wish I could afford a couple of their fermenters!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
Ed, you have this wrong. There is a minimum advertised price and a suggested retail price. No one sells it for the suggested retail price. Everyone *advertises* it for the minimum advertised price. Stores can sell the conical for whatever price they want to. The simply cannot advertise a lower price.
Thanks for the clarification on my post. I did not go into detail in my post. As you said no one makes very much money on the conicals, so I know I would not sell below the minimum advertised price, but that certainly does not mean the OP could not find someone that would.

Ed

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
Hawgbranch

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I work in retail and MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) is common and needed, for all the reasons mentioned above. Also, if a bigbox store decides to sell the same items as say, Ed, then with their buying power they would be able to buy 3 train cars full. Then they could sell it far less than Ed and realize the same profit due to offering it across the state or nation.
I have seen Vendors/manufacturers stop selling to a retailer for advertising below MAP and these were jam-up retailers, moving a LOT of product. But if they don't act on it, eventually all the Eds out there will stop buying and that would spell doom for the vendor

Carboy 1: Shade Tree Brewing - Firewalker DIPA
Carboy 2: Air

Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #15
metaltim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droot View Post
I was told my my LHBS that If they sell the fermenter lower than the minimum suggested price, Blichmann will not deal with them. She was quite nice and explained it clearly.
I don't know anything about pricing and what everyone is discussing.. but I would imagine that Blichmann doesn't care what your LHBS sells it at.. the LHBS already bought it from Blichmann, so Blichmann made their money. LHBS could give it away, and it would simply be their loss..

maybe I'm wrong though, but that seems it would make sense.

as said, they just can't 'advertise' any lower than what Blich.. says, but actual sales price is irrelevant.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #16
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltim View Post
I don't know anything about pricing and what everyone is discussing.. but I would imagine that Blichmann doesn't care what your LHBS sells it at.. the LHBS already bought it from Blichmann, so Blichmann made their money. LHBS could give it away, and it would simply be their loss..

maybe I'm wrong though, but that seems it would make sense.

as said, they just can't 'advertise' any lower than what Blich.. says, but actual sales price is irrelevant.
Thats not altogether true. Big time discounting tends to cheapen the brand. Blichman makes a good product and wants to appear to be the best so they very much care if their retailers discount it bigtime.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #17
TheCHICompany
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Wait a little bit...we will be selling conicals for at least $100 less than Blichmann's products.
Matt

Old 07-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
samc
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc View Post
Wait a little bit...we will be selling conicals for at least $100 less than Blichmann's products.
Matt
How about giving a few details?

Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #19
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
How about giving a few details?
+1 Inquiring minds want to know....

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I am guessing that Matt will selling Bitter creeks conicals that boerderij-kabouter has been testing Conical

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply