Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best natural gas burner/stand solution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
shoebag22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

know of a place that sells the propane orifice?

"...bring your green hat."

Following Seas Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

There is always this option:

http://www.cpapc.com/store/3-Ring-Bu...P2361C244.aspx

It requires this valve:

http://www.etundra.com/1_8__Gas_Burner_Valve-P1766.html

I have 3 sets. I am STILL in the process of mounting them on my cart. Life has been a little crazy.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If it were me, I'd just get the propane and drill the orifice until I had the flame I wanted.
Is the "orifice" that needs to be drilled out, the brass looking piece that attaches the gas line hose to the burner? I never quite understood what people were drilling out. Is the idea that propane is high pressure, so it forces itself through a small hole, while natural gas is not so it requires a larger hole to pass through on it's way into the burner?

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 10-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
lazybean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I cant remeber who, but some one else posted this guy's BBQ NG conversion, and it is a great DIY guide. I am going to be switching my Brew rig and my BBQ over to NG.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
cutter22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDogsNE View Post
There is always this option:

http://www.cpapc.com/store/3-Ring-Bu...P2361C244.aspx

It requires this valve:

http://www.etundra.com/1_8__Gas_Burner_Valve-P1766.html

I have 3 sets. I am STILL in the process of mounting them on my cart. Life has been a little crazy.
hey i am curious if you have used this setup at all or have seen in in action. I am trying a new setup for 18 gallon boils (i do 15g batches) and was looking into the hurricane, but its been sold out for a while and i would love to get it rolling. This might be a better option considering the boil volume. any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Dont do it
Bottled and Kegged
Cream
Dry Stout
Rye Ipa
Imperial Ipa
Edwort's Apfelwein
Pale Ale
Tripel
Saison
Blonde

Old 10-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1073 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnoona View Post
Is the "orifice" that needs to be drilled out, the brass looking piece that attaches the gas line hose to the burner? I never quite understood what people were drilling out. Is the idea that propane is high pressure, so it forces itself through a small hole, while natural gas is not so it requires a larger hole to pass through on it's way into the burner?
You've got it mostly right but also at the same pressure, propane has more BTU capacity. So, it's pressure and energy density which makes the orifice for propane smaller. If you have an orifice that is too small, you will have a small flame once you get the fuel/air mix dialed in. If it's too big, you will not be able to get enough air into the mix and/or the pressure at which the fuel enters is not enough to pull the required air into the damper. I think trial and error is fine in that regard if you have an assortment of fine increment drill bits. Just keep going bigger until you have the largest blue flame with the air damper nearly full open. Closing the damper a bit will add orange tips to the flame and opening too much will make the burn noisy and the flames will hover over the burner.
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
jvastola
Recipes 

My plan is to buy this:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bayo...e/554RBA5.html

Then drill out the orifices for NG.

I figure even if the stand is not the highest quality it should be good for a year or so of batches until I am ready to build something nicer. I like the idea of it folding into itself.

Quick Reply