Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best kit to convert a 5 gal cooler with false bottom?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
ericd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Best kit to convert a 5 gal cooler with false bottom?

I want to convert a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler to a mash tun with a false bottom. What's the best kit to do this? I was looking at these: NORTHERN BREWER: Weldless Fittings are they any good (besides buying the false bottom seperately)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 52 Posts

Pssst......hey, bud:

Use a ten-gallon cooler. You'll be glad you did.

To answer your Q's, I got my false bottom from Northern Brewer and the rest of the parts came from the local hardware store. Works fine.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 11-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Well I already have a 5 gallon one and two 5 gallon stockpots and stuff...don't really want to do bigger volumes right now.

Anyway, I just want something I can buy that comes with everything, all the parts already so I don't have to go hunting. Been there, done that, tried putting one toether with stuff from walmart and home depot, not happy with it.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
Gumbys_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
Well I already have a 5 gallon one and two 5 gallon stockpots and stuff...don't really want to do bigger volumes right now.

Anyway, I just want something I can buy that comes with everything, all the parts already so I don't have to go hunting. Been there, done that, tried putting one toether with stuff from walmart and home depot, not happy with it.
for my 5 gallon igloo coolers i did the conversion used in the DIY section for mash tun used all the same parts with extra rubber washers and it works great. got the parts from lowes. as for my kettle ball valve i ordered from bargain fittings great place to order from if your wanting everything together and don't have to serach for each piece

heres the link http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/
Bottled- empty
Keg 1- Irish Blonde Ale
Keg 2-empty

Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
RockfordWhite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

5 gallon coolers are nice but don't get your heart set on using large grain bails for high-gravity beers... If you can find one a ten gallon cooler is sweet....

Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you are going to be doing five gallon AG batches, you'll need stock pots that are bigger than 5 gallons (or you are going to be splitting batches and boiling in two pans).

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3207 Times on 3109 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Five gallon will work but you might as well save the money now and go directly to a 10 G cooler.

You know you will eventually anyway.

I can see it now....

You'll get sick of having split boils and will find a great deal on a keggle/stockpot/turkey fryer.

Suddenly, 5 G of Barleywine sounds like a great idea or a 10G batch would be great to building the pipeline.

Ooops, 5G cooler too small. Time to go rebuy the false bottom and another cooler.

Spend the money upfront and you'll not have to buy another $30 false bottom for the larger cooler.

Quick Reply