The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best heat sources: Belt or mat? Or something else?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Best heat sources: Belt or mat? Or something else?

I'm thinking (at wife's insistance) on moving my fermenting full time to a fermentation chamber in the garage. I have a commercial cooler out there so the chamber is already done, but during the winter I'm going to need to keep my fermenters warm. I'll be using a temp controller than I can switch from cooling in the summer to heating in the winter when temps drop below fermentation temperatures.

What do folks think is the best way to supply the heat? The two main options seem to be heated mats or belts. Anyone have experience with either or both? Or maybe there's another way I haven't thought about that would be both effective and efficient.

Ideas, thoughts and reviews anyone?

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have started using heat mats from Hydrofarm for heating seedling trays. They make a couple sizes but I find the small $20 version works fine for me. Just duct tape it to the fermenter. They also make a cheap digital temp controller with a thermocouple for around $35...half the price of a Johnson. Works great for ale temps with 68°F as the bottom limit. This has been a really affordable option for me. It would be very nice to have a two stage controller, but for now I leave my fermentation fridge on and hook the heat mat to the controller.

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Brewsader1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

I have some friends that had a clever idea...They insulated a cabinet big enough for two carboys, then hooked a temp controller up to a hair dryer. The thing turns on when it gets too cool! May not have to be a hair dryer, but you could get creative with other things.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I use this:

http://morebeer.com/products/fermwraptm-heater.html

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB View Post
I have started using heat mats from Hydrofarm for heating seedling trays. They make a couple sizes but I find the small $20 version works fine for me. Just duct tape it to the fermenter. They also make a cheap digital temp controller with a thermocouple for around $35...half the price of a Johnson. Works great for ale temps with 68°F as the bottom limit. This has been a really affordable option for me. It would be very nice to have a two stage controller, but for now I leave my fermentation fridge on and hook the heat mat to the controller.
Just FYI, you can build a two-stage controller with parts from ebay for ~$35. I have three and love them.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post

Just FYI, you can build a two-stage controller with parts from ebay for ~$35. I have three and love them.
They are on my list. Just as soon as I am finished with grad school in 55 days, 4 hours, and 37 seconds...but who's counting!

I should have said this is a cheap plug and play option. BTW, does anyone sell those cheap ebay units that read in Fahrenheit yet or all Celsius and we memorize the conversion chart?!? My local Radio Shack is going out of business so I guess I better go round up the parts I'll need soon.
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
beergynt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

+1 on the dual stage controller. That plus a reptile lamp makes for rock steady temps.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
BreezyBrew
Fully Fermented.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have read that the brew belts are only made for plastic. I have a mat and it works really well. Paid $30 for it I believe. What's nice about it is the heat is distributed more evenly. What's not so great is it only goes around the carboy about 75%.

- 99% Perspiration 1% Beer
- Oh no! more beer puns? Hopsolutely!
- "Be sure to protect the beer from marauding squirrels" - Radical Brewing

Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB

They are on my list. Just as soon as I am finished with grad school in 55 days, 4 hours, and 37 seconds...but who's counting!

I should have said this is a cheap plug and play option. BTW, does anyone sell those cheap ebay units that read in Fahrenheit yet or all Celsius and we memorize the conversion chart?!? My local Radio Shack is going out of business so I guess I better go round up the parts I'll need soon.
There still in Celsius. I just have a chart that I printed out that gives me all the temp conversions. I just taped it to the front of the fridge. Works great. Cheers!! Get a stc1000. Cheapest ones and dual stage. 19.99 shipped on amazon.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 416

I use a couple of light bulbs from old table lamps. They click on when the temp controller tells them go. Has worked like a charm and was free!

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Quick Reply