Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 220

I have the MM3, if I could do it again, I'd get the 1/2 shaft. This mill works great but is hard to set the gap. I'm at 75% I could make a finer crush, but 75% is a good place to be. I have a 12"pully vs 1 1/2" pully on a motor that runs 1075rpm and it mills slow. I could do a 50lb bag in 10-15min, I like the sound it makes. chook,,,,,,,chook,,,,,,,chook,,,,,,,chook,,,,,,,ch ook,,,,,,,chook,,,,,,,chook,,,,,,,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

IMO the mill by Rebel is a MM wannabe that falls a bit short. Short in roller size when compared with Monster Mills. Especially when you consider how the MM rollers are 6" long and either 1.5" or 2.0" in diameter.

I like to get other things by/from Rebel but a mill isn't one of them.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
Kuhndog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
IMO the mill by Rebel is a MM wannabe that falls a bit short. Short in roller size when compared with Monster Mills. Especially when you consider how the MM rollers are 6" long and either 1.5" or 2.0" in diameter.

I like to get other things by/from Rebel but a mill isn't one of them.
Keeping in the spirit of the OP though - saying it's a MM wannabe is not true. I do not own a grain mill YET...so I'm in the same boat as the OP but looking at the two models and what they offer in terms of specs not personal judgement.

The Rebel Mill has 5" long rollers vs the MM2 6" rollers. Rebel Mill has 1" rollers vs 1.5" for the MM2. Bottom line here - you can crush more grain faster with the MM2 but has nothing to do with better or anything.

Hopper - SS welded hopper for the Rebel....galvanized riveted hopper for the MM2. Looks like the capacity is about the same for both w/o extensions..etc.

Base - MM2 is 12" x 12"...Rebel fits a 6.5 gallon bucket

Price - if you compare apples to apples...the MM2 with SS rollers will cost you $197....the Rebel will cost you $179.95

Bottom line - they are very close in terms of specs, price...etc. The question becomes - is it worth the extra $17 to get rollers that are 1" longer and 0.5" more in diameter. I don't know what that would really correlate to in terms of faster gristing...etc.

As for the barley crusher - flimsier hopper, smaller hopper (7 lbs), regular steel rollers vs SS rollers...rollers are 5" long, 1.25" diameter but the price is lower to - $115 or so.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Monster's hopper is NOT rivited. You put it together with screws and locknuts (provided). It's also HEAVY guage metal. I'd have to look up what the matal is but it doesnt look like galvy to me.

Also larger diameter rollers produce a better crush.

Get the Rebel mill if you want but don't delude yourself to thinking its as good as a standard Monster Mill. The MM2-2.0 and MM3-2.0 are also far above its league.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #15
Kuhndog
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Monster's hopper is NOT rivited. You put it together with screws and locknuts (provided). It's also HEAVY guage metal. I'd have to look up what the matal is but it doesnt look like galvy to me.

Get the Rebel mill if you want but don't delude yourself to thinking its as good as a standard Monster Mill. The MM2-2.0 and MM3-2.0 are also far above its league.
It does have screws as you say (my goof...it doesn't say what it is on their site so I had to go off the picture - which isn't real close up) but IT IS galvanized steel per their own website. It's heavy for a reason...it's made with normal steel and dipped to make it galvanized.

BTW - I said I don't have either of them...actually no grain mill yet. All I was stating is the specs from their own websites. Both of them pride themselves in USA made mills that will last a lifetime but when comparing models and such...don't start out saying something is a wannabe of something you own. The OP wanted non-personal opinions here....that's all I was doing especially considering that I don't own a mill....I have no bias to go off of. I'm looking at both models...and even the barley crusher....it's flimsier than the other two but it's a fair amount cheaper too. Will it last forever...probably not...but it's also the most used mill out there...1000s of lbs of grain have been milled via them. The others are relatively new.

Bottom line is I just want an easily adjustable mill....that will last....produce great crushed grain...and not break the bank. Either of them should last a long time.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #16
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

With each post, you will probably get a different answer of who likes what mill. To that end, I have had a CrankAndStein 3 roller mill for about 10 years now and really like how it crushes the grain. It is very adjustable and easy to clean/lubricate.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #17
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:

I have the MM2-2.0 and wasn't impressed at all by their hopper. I'd be hard pressed to agree that it's a heavy gauge metal as it's 1/16 in thick sheetmetal and arrived with several spots severely bent from it's ride in transit. Not to mention one of the 1/4" bolts was snapped off as it was shipped partially threaded into the base

I was able to bend the hopper back out with simply needle nose pliers. Even now that it's all put together I can easily bend the hopper in widest parts by hand. Workable sure, but not what I'd call heavy gauge.

The mill is fantastic, but everything I've seen leads me to believe that the Rebel Hopper is much higher quality than the MM Hopper. In the end I'd buy the MM2-2.0 again, because the mill is the important part and a hopper can be made out of plywood if you felt like it.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
I have the MM2-2.0 and wasn't impressed at all by their hopper. I'd be hard pressed to agree that it's a heavy gauge metal as it's 1/16 in thick sheetmetal and arrived with several spots severely bent from it's ride in transit. Not to mention one of the 1/4" bolts was snapped off as it was shipped partially threaded into the base

I was able to bend the hopper back out with simply needle nose pliers. Even now that it's all put together I can easily bend the hopper in widest parts by hand. Workable sure, but not what I'd call heavy gauge.

The mill is fantastic, but everything I've seen leads me to believe that the Rebel Hopper is much higher quality than the MM Hopper. In the end I'd buy the MM2-2.0 again, because the mill is the important part and a hopper can be made out of plywood if you felt like it.
Not sure when you got your mill, but I got mine last year. Hopper arrived completely disassembled so there were zero issues for me. Also arrived without extra bends or any kinks. Did you order direct or from someplace else? I got mine direct from Monster.

When comparing the Monster hopper to what BC sells, its night and day. The one from BC is not even close to the thickness.

I don't have any tools to make a hopper from anything, so that's simply not an option for me. I do plan on motorizing my MM2-2.0 after I've moved (getting closer there) so that it's easier for me. I intend to continue to use the hopper due to its high capacity (39#). I have one recipe that will be brewed soon after moving that could exceed even that capacity.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #19
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3827 Times on 2354 Posts
Likes Given: 3298

I've got the JSP MaltMill. I love this thing. I can only compare it to the barley crusher: the MaltMill is a better mill. The MaltMill is wider and faster and just appears sturdier than the barley crusher.

I've run (literally) 1500 pounds through it. And, I got it used. It had been the only mill at my LHBS (Southern Brewing in Tampa), which is a very busy shop. I just ran (30 minutes ago) 40# of grain through it, full speed with my drill attached.

The hopper is a simple chute made of some sort of fiberboard. It looks a bit "homemade" but damn this thing just runs flawlessly every time.

The Monster Mill look like great mills. I have no comment for them, except that they look very nice. Good luck with whatever mill you get.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #20
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Not sure when you got your mill, but I got mine last year. Hopper arrived completely disassembled so there were zero issues for me. Also arrived without extra bends or any kinks. Did you order direct or from someplace else? I got mine direct from Monster.
I've had my mill for 15 days now, ordered directly from Monster.

My hopper also arrived completely disassembled but there were definite bends in the sheet metal. It was all in the lower portion of the hopper where it meets the base and must have happened during transit.

The worst part was the vendor shipped the mill with the 4 1/4" bolts half way threaded into the top of the mill, and one snapped off during shipping. I was relieved that only the bolt broke and didn't mess up the threading in the mill, but all in all that was a stupid way to ship when they should have just thrown the four bolts into a zip lock bag.

Quote:
When comparing the Monster hopper to what BC sells, its night and day. The one from BC is not even close to the thickness.
Fyi, I was comparing the Monster hopper to the Rebel hopper, not the BC That being said, I don't see how any hopper could be thinner as mine is literally made out of 1/16th inch sheetmetal.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS