Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > The best/fastest chillers... on Earth?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default The best/fastest chillers... on Earth?!

Over the years, I've used a few different types of chillers. Most recently I was using a 20 plate chiller, which worked fantastic, but there were things about it I didn't like. So, I sold it and decided to go back to a copper IC... and so began my search for the most badass product I could find. Via eBay, I landed on the website for JaDeD Brewing. They have more chiller designs than I thought existed, with many having been tested and compared. Some even have videos for proof, and they are convincing (see bottom of post)! The one I'm most interested in is the Hydra, which can reportedly chill 5 gallons of boiling wort to 67F in 3 minutes (using 58F groundwater, which I've got). I'm interested if anyone out there has used any of these neat looking products?

I'd also like to throw out there how rad their customer service is. I'm not even sure of real names, but the dude I've been emailing with is super responsive, clearly passionate, and incredibly informative. For example, in the years I used an IC, I never new that increased flow rate actually chilled the wort faster... I know, it's logical, but I'm dumb. Anyway, I certainly plan on purchasing from JaDeD Brewing, after which I'll do some tests and post a detailed review. At this point, I'm more than pleased with just their customer service.

Cheers!
WileECoyote Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher
Over the years, I've used a few different types of chillers. Most recently I was using a 20 plate chiller, which worked fantastic, but there were things about it I didn't like. So, I sold it and decided to go back to a copper IC... and so began my search for the most badass product I could find. Via eBay, I landed on the website for JaDeD Brewing. They have more chiller designs than I thought existed, with many having been tested and compared. Some even have videos for proof, and they are convincing (see bottom of post)! The one I'm most interested in is the Hydra, which can reportedly chill 5 gallons of boiling wort to 67F in 3 minutes (using 58F groundwater, which I've got). I'm interested if anyone out there has used any of these neat looking products?

I'd also like to throw out there how rad their customer service is. I'm not even sure of real names, but the dude I've been emailing with is super responsive, clearly passionate, and incredibly informative. For example, in the years I used an IC, I never new that increased flow rate actually chilled the wort faster... I know, it's logical, but I'm dumb. Anyway, I certainly plan on purchasing from JaDeD Brewing, after which I'll do some tests and post a detailed review. At this point, I'm more than pleased with just their customer service.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtztKDitdBs

Cheers!
You might be a shill but that is a cool website. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312

You might be a shill but that is a cool website. Thanks for sharing.
Haha, except I only just found the website yesterday... and I'm asking for feedback from people who have actually tried them... and I spoke highly of customer service, not the product. Still, I see how you could've taken it that way. If I were a shill, I wouldn't have to pay as much for the chiller... I guess it'd be nice
WileECoyote Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Im looking forward to hearing more about this.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Im looking forward to hearing more about this.

Cheers
me too!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 32

True that increasing the flow will speed up chilling but there is an optimal flow rate for best chilling. Too much flow and it becomes inefficient. You need to adjust the flow rate accordingly. I use a recirc system and run at about 260 GPH and go from 200 to 70 in about 15 min.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Um, I think you'd get a similar result with any IC if you optimized your flow rate with a valve and shook it all around as they do in the video.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
NMG318
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Somewhat impressive but how long does it take to get the wort down to 68 degrees with 68 degree water? That would be the video I would like to see. My plate chiller can do it in about 5 minutes using about 20 to 25 gallons of water.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Looks like what he did is impacted more from design than flow rate. With a IC of one piece I would imagine that the temp of the water inside the coil gets pretty damn hot by the last half of the run and therefore has less cooling power. Looks to me like he has 3 intertwined chillers going, each with a common input/output. probably keeps the internal water temp much lower, pretty genius and simple design.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivekD View Post
True that increasing the flow will speed up chilling but there is an optimal flow rate for best chilling. Too much flow and it becomes inefficient. You need to adjust the flow rate accordingly. I use a recirc system and run at about 260 GPH and go from 200 to 70 in about 15 min.
Are you using that Harbor Freight 26f GPH pond pump? $14 bucks and change...

Does it work well enough on 5 gal batches?

Thanks,

Quick Reply