Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best cooler for a mash tun? (Coleman, Igloo, Rubbermaid)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #41
Memorex88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
Is there any consensus on which size of Xtreme cooler? I was thinking the 36 quart, but I can't seem to find any. Next up I think is 50, is that fine?
I have the 52 quart and it perfect for 5 or 10 gallon batches. Not to mention... camping too

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #42
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Anyone know if this will suffice?

http://www.walmart.ca/details?tabId=...&assetId=44249

Does it have to be an "Xtreme" cooler?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #43
reddskinnfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Go for it. At least it will be easy to move it around. Now if you eventually want to do a brewstand (and use a cooler with it), you will want something without wheels.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER."

Fryer Tuck - Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves

Kegged: Lemon Pepper Saison
Fermenter: Dry Cider
On Deck: Rye IIPA, Nugget Nectar Clone, Nut Brown Ale
In the near future: Irish Red, Witbier, Steam Beer

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #44
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've been using the Rubbermaid 10 gal. "Home Depot" model for over a year, and no complaints. Works as advertised, and I just went the easy way for conversion and ordered a Bargain Fittings kit.

Yes, the Rubbermaid cooler's interior lining will warp; mine does. It's only logical. They are designed as coolers -hence the name- and not "heaters." When 170F preheat water is dumped into the cooler, the plastic lining expands, and warps. I can't see how that affects its performance as an MLT.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #45
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have a 5 gallon Igloo cooler from Lowes and it hold temp very close over a 60 - 90 minute mash. I might get 1 or 2 degree drop with the 90 minute. I also have an older coleman 48qt. cooler that I am planning to convert with a stainless (weldless) valve assembly and mesh strainer tube. I have used this cooler while camping and it keeps food cold for extended periods with little need to replace ice.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 09-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #46
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I don't want to threadjack but if you are looking for a round Rubbermaid drink type cooler there was another thread on this forum that lead me to "hydrationstation.com." They are selling a 10gal cooler for $15! I believe it is made by Rubbermaid do to the description. Of course you add shipping but it is still much cheaper than the $39 HD charges for one. I bought two and with shipping it came to $53.35. Thats about $26.67 apiece. Not bad.

Here's the link if interested:

http://www.hydrationdepot.com/Gatora...gn-Cooler.html

Old 09-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #47
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
I don't want to threadjack but if you are looking for a round Rubbermaid drink type cooler there was another thread on this forum that lead me to "hydrationstation.com." They are selling a 10gal cooler for $15! I believe it is made by Rubbermaid do to the description. Of course you add shipping but it is still much cheaper than the $39 HD charges for one. I bought two and with shipping it came to $53.35. Thats about $26.67 apiece. Not bad.

http://www.hydrationdepot.com/Gatorade-10-Gallon-Cooler-Original-Bright-Orange-Design-Cooler.html
Wow that is crazy. I wish I had known when I bought mine. I couldn't find anything below around 45 so 15 is rediculous. Wonder how they manage it.

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #48
bniesen
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

elproducto:
You do want it to be an "Extreme" IMO, the lid is heavier and denser and more than likely insulated. Where is the spigot on those, are those on the wheel side. If so it might become a PITA when it comes to putting/operating a ball valve on there.

I bought a 62qt Coleman Extreme for $40 and completed the copper manifold yesterday. converting that cooler was super easy, I could reuse the factory spigot washer/gasket. The washer/gasket fits over a 1/2" nipple and not only seals the inside but it also goes between the inside and outside of the cooler walls. added a couple of SS washer to snug everything up and no leaks what so ever.

I ran just straight water to see what the flow was like and to see how much would be left behind. I found out that at the end of drainage, if I elevate the back just a little, only a cup and a half of water was left behind. I know its going to be a different story when there is grain added but I thought a cup and a half wasn't bad.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 AM   #49
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post

http://www.hydrationdepot.com/Gatora...gn-Cooler.html
The price is $65.12 if I click on the link.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #50
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Bigelow View Post
The price is $65.12 if I click on the link.
Me too now. It looked like a mistake anyways. When I clicked on it last week it was priced at 15. It said in that save sticker "Save 70%" or something.

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Quick Reply