Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best cooler for a mash tun? (Coleman, Igloo, Rubbermaid)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #31
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do 12.5 gallon batches in an Extreme 100qt cooler. The problem I have with the Extreme is that when the cooler is full the sides bow out and the lid doesn't want to seal in the middle. The thing I like about the Coleman is that it has a clasp at both ends. I think this could make a difference when tying to maintain temps. The Extreme does a good job of maintaining temps if it is pre-heated. I think you should always pre-heat a cooler MLT anyway. I'm going to change to the Coleman 150qt on my new HERMS rig to increase to 20 gallon batches. I think round coolers have an advantage in the fact that the lid can be screwed, but for me they just aren't big enough.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #32
reddskinnfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have a Coleman Xtreme 50 and Xtreme 70. They work great, and have been leak free.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER."

Fryer Tuck - Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves

Kegged: Citra WIPA, Belma Blonde
Fermenter: English Cider, Arrogant Bastard Clone, Lemon Pepper Saison
On Deck:Rye IIPA, El Dorado Amber Ale
In the near future: Kolsch, Citra Wheat, Pumpkin Ale and Winter Warmer

Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #33
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just bought a 52 qt coleman xtreme (20 drakmas at Sears), and ordered a cooler conversion ball valve from Bargain fittings.com. What kind of manifold are you guys using to get the best efficiency? I was thinking of using a copper manifold, then I thought about the bazooka screen, then I thought that since the cooler has that channel on the bottom, is it even necessary to use anything that goes through the cooler, or can I use a sort of dip tube to pick the wort out of that little channel? The way I'm thinking of it is the most concentrated liquids are going to collect in the channel, maximizing efficiency. I'm probably totally off base, but figured I'd ask you guys with more experience than I.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #34
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewsh View Post
So go against using the Ice cube? I have one and am considering converting it to start my adventure in All grain!
I use an ice cube and it works fine. With any cooler, most important to preheat thoroughly!!! The igloo is kind of thin though, I brew indoors, not sure how well it would do outdoors w/ fridgid ambient temps. IME brewing w/ all sorts of inexpensive coolers, they all have held heat well if properly preheated, and the vacant headspace is not too great.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:23 AM   #35
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 367 Posts

so my research has brought me to this......it doesn't matter what kind of manifold or braid you use, what's important is your technique.... crush technique, mash technique and sparge technique. So I'm going with a copper manifold in my 52 qt coleman xtreme. I see it this way... if I get my technique down, I'll make great beers. I currently have two tuns, a 5 gallon round, for BiaB smaller batches( 5 gallons, small to moderate ABV brews), and the 52 qt coleman with SS BV and copper manifold for bigger beers or 10 gallon batches. So with this combination, there's nothing I can't brew. I'm going to follow the basic copper manifold directions online to finish my rectangular tun, then follow strict instruction on mashing and sparging to round out my technique. Lets see how that all works out.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #36
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
so my research has brought me to this......it doesn't matter what kind of manifold or braid you use, what's important is your technique.... crush technique, mash technique and sparge technique.
Pretty much spot on IMO...I have always favored the saying that " a talented brewer could make a nice beer in his hat"

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #37
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I use an ice cube and it works fine. With any cooler, most important to preheat thoroughly!!! The igloo is kind of thin though, I brew indoors, not sure how well it would do outdoors w/ fridgid ambient temps. IME brewing w/ all sorts of inexpensive coolers, they all have held heat well if properly preheated, and the vacant headspace is not too great.
I use the igloo ice cube and well, I'm on this thread now b/c I'm not too happy with it. A mash starting out at say, 152-154 will drop in some places to 148 even 147 after 60 minutes, and that's with six big fluffy bath towels wrapped around it, in the 90 degree Georgian summer.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #38
reddskinnfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I use a Coleman Xtreme 70 qt quarter. It is AWESOME! Have never had issues with temperature drop. Just saying.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER."

Fryer Tuck - Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves

Kegged: Citra WIPA, Belma Blonde
Fermenter: English Cider, Arrogant Bastard Clone, Lemon Pepper Saison
On Deck:Rye IIPA, El Dorado Amber Ale
In the near future: Kolsch, Citra Wheat, Pumpkin Ale and Winter Warmer

Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #39
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I imagine the OP may have found the information he was looking for, but what the heck....

I use a Rubbermaid 10gal for my 10 gallon batches. Would need to be bigger for higher gravity beers but I usually only make 5 gallon at a time of big beers. For the house ale quaffer (usually BM's blonde), it works great for 10 gal batches.

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #40
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Is there any consensus on which size of Xtreme cooler? I was thinking the 36 quart, but I can't seem to find any. Next up I think is 50, is that fine?

Quick Reply