The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best cooler for a mash tun? (Coleman, Igloo, Rubbermaid)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 AM   #21
bkwudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just went through this decision, ended up with the Igloo 10 gal from the depot. For no other reason than its smaller foot print and i had a gift card to burn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 AM   #22
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
I'll play devil's advocate here since I'm one of those who owns a Ice cube mash tun (I got it for free so I didn't have to make a financial decision on a cooler for a MT):

How long do you really mash for? Its great that some of these extreme coolers can hold ice for 5 days, but most people typically mash for no longer than 60 minutes. On top of that,of the malts we mash are highly modified and convert in something like 20-30minutes...so I don't really see the point of a cooler and sustains mash temps +/-1degree for 6-7hours.

Just my 0.02
I am going to the round cooler this weekend. Up till now I have been using the cube cooler and have been losing anywhere from 4 to 10 degrees over an hour. I found that it does not seal well around the hinge. I tried putting weatherstripping on it, duck tape, a heavy towel, you name it, nothing works. I just can't decide between the 5 gallon round max cold for $25 or the 10 gallon round regular for $45. I will probably go with the 10 gallon, even though the other one is cheaper and better insulated, it just don't hold enough!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:21 AM   #23
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Honestly the tried and true rubbermaid will never fail. They have screw on lids unlike the igloos. They also have built in sturdy handles unlike the igloos. They also have twice as thick a wall at the hole where you would install a valve. All in all they hold temperature great, have a nice grain bed thickness and are heavier duty than most.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #24
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbrewnut
What size are your brews, 5or 10 gallons? I also just bought one from Wal-Mart, I am a liitle concerned that it will be too big when I make a 5 gallon batch.
I make 10 gal up to a 1.070 OG, then I drop to a 5 gal because of the boil size.

I have made 1.050 og 5 gal with the 80qt and it works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #25
Jewsh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So go against using the Ice cube? I have one and am considering converting it to start my adventure in All grain!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #26
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

soon to be proud owner of coleman extrem 70qt tun.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #27
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Coleman 52qt Extreme-FTW!!! I also have a Coleman 70qt that can easily be converted with the same parts from the 52qt if I wanted to make something HUGE.

I think the 52 qt is a perfect size, it reduces the headspace for 10 gallon brews, but for 5 gallon batches, I would recommend some type of insulation for the additional headspace as my temps were all over when using this Tun for a 5 gallon batch (8lb grainbill).

3/4" SS water heater supply braid, have had no problems with it, last brew was 21lbs of grain for a 10 gallon batch of APA.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Last edited by Schnitzengiggle; 02-11-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #28
RebelHouse32
Recipes 

I'm looking into moving into the all grain in the next month or so, and where can I find the valve and braid for the cooler? Home depot or Lowes?

[COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The Dayton Beer Company

Old 02-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #29
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelHouse32 View Post
I'm looking into moving into the all grain in the next month or so, and where can I find the valve and braid for the cooler? Home depot or Lowes?
You can find the braid at either HD or Lowe's, if you want a SS ball valve and fittings, online is usually the best bet. I purchased mine from www.bargainfittings.com you may have a local hardware store that carries SS plumbing supplies, however I couldn't find a place in my area that did. Plus by purchasing from an online vendor here on HBT you are supporting the brewing community.

For the braid you'll need to cut the ends off and remove the hose, a hacksaw or dremel will work, but I found that an angle grinder is the quickest and cleanest.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 AM   #30
Kershner_Ale
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
I have the Coleman Xtreme (36 quart) and couldn't be happier. Holds heat great, effectively zero deadspace. Unless you might fly sparge in the future and therefore want a cylindrical cooler, I'd highly recommend the Xtreme.
Ditto! I batch sparge with mine and it works great.

Quick Reply