Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I split my 1/2" IC chiller into two 22' coils, kind of like this but with 2 sections not 3. I have a CFC and prefer the IC. I have been focused on ease of use and cleanup. I chilled to high 60's in about eight minutes the other day (Chicago water is in the mid to high fifties right now). But that requires recirc'ing with a pump or stirring. And I've been trying to stir since pump and tubing cleanup is pain. And I figure, what kind of wimp am I if I can't stir wort for 7-8 minutes? But if you are stirring, you should take care to leave a larger center section to stir within. Not like so:

So I guess I'm saying they did the right thing in terms of not shifting the coils. If you're stirring it anyway shifting the coils to have more "wort contact" is meaningless.

[Edit] bottom line I like to make stuff and I would not pay the money they are asking, it is easy to make two coils that splits the incoming water yourself with simple copper T's. But as stated leave a large center stirring area. My 2 pennies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbite View Post
He said their claims were BS. I disagree. Case closed.
Well, I say BS too!

Nah, not really. but I think he had a valid point- in most areas of the country, 58 degree tap water is NOT the norm for at least 60% of the year. For me, sure, about 90% of the year my tap water is under 60 degrees, but I think most people typically have warmer tap water most of the yeast.

That's why I said in my post above that it was a function of the water temperature- it's critical. And the bigger the temperature differential, the quicker the chiller.

I'd like to see their claims of using, say, 72 degree tap water and chilling. I think it would be more realistic for a typical brewer.

And you certainly don't need a pump for CFC and/or plate chillers, so I don't like that claim in their ad.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #23
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Here in the Northwest that water temperature isn't so out of line.
If the temperature reaches 60 outdoors here we got shorts and t shirts on. 80 is a very hot summer day so naturally the ground water, or in the case of the city I live in the river water is fairly chilly.
I think tonight I'm going to see what the temperature is right now.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The one thing I think everyone seems to be overlooking slightly is that this thing must weigh a ton. (and i'm not a tiny dude, but at the end of a brew day, the last thing i want to be playing with is lifting all that junk)

i certainly don't want to be wrangling that thing when its full of water, trying to maneuver it around with the hoses etc... i guess i didnt really enjoy using my IC, granted it was a small 25ft coiler that took 45+ minutes to chill to pitching temps. Needless to say after brewing a batch after work and flooding the backyard around 11:45 only to have to have my sisters 2 dumb dogs go playing in the mud and need a bath before they came in the house, i switched to a Plate chiller.

I splurged on a therminator, have it gravity fed, and i have never had a problem with cleaning it or it clogging. I open my ball valve to wide open and i sometimes have to slow my water down because it'll come out too cold. (we had a cold night 2 weeks ago where water was coming out at 47* and my boiling wort was leaving the therminator at a wopping 56*)

Between using disconnects (which i already use for my hoses and water filtration) my plate chiller setup takes less than 5 minutes to set up, and just as little time to cool to pitching temps, no heavy lifting, no constant stirring, just results.

/$0.02

Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #25
kaboom133
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just measured my tap water on a freshly calibrated thermometer. Outside temp is 32, my tap water is 48. I don't consider my area (near Pittsburgh) to be particularly cold, maybe slightly cooler than average.

I siphon wort through a homemade counter flow chiller with 3/8 copper pipe through a 5/8 hose and it cools my wort to 50-55 in the winter and about 60-65 in the summer in as long as it takes to siphon it through; no more than ten minutes.

And off topic, 45_70sharps, just noticed your name. That's one heck of a round, I dropped a deer with that a couple of days ago. I love that gun.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #26
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Each type of chiller has its pros and cons. Its like rock-paper-scissors...

I've personally owned and operated all three types. What I CAN say from personal experience is that:

1. The 50' 1/2" IC kicked ass...10 gals to pitching in <10 mins and there was never a concern about clogging.

2. The 40 plate chiller I had kicked even more ass (as fast as I could pump the wort using a powerful Little Giant 3-md-hc pump). But I had to be very careful about clogging. I spent a lot of time backflushing and worrying about sanitation, especially because I kept finding hop particles when flushed.

3. The chillus convolutus was just as fast as the plate and clogging was less of an issue. I thought it was the perfect solution...however the inner coil has a helical shape to it with lots of crevices. I had no problem with residual debris, but there was no way to clean it other than the usual chemical means. Better than a plate, but still enough to bother me.

I have recently gone back to a SS IC with custom whirlpool arm (thanks, Bobby!). I haven't used it this way yet, but I wanted to get back to basics. Sanitation is no longer an issue, and neither is filtration. Oxidation of copper/verdigris in the wort is a non-issue with SS, and it is way more durable.

I can do a quick whirlpool and let things settle....most of the trub and cold break will stay out of the fermenter....AND I can free-float my hops for max utilization.

There is no perfect way to chill, only the way that makes you happy. For batch sizes less than 10 gallons, what does a minute or two really mean?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #27
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3177 Times on 1984 Posts
Likes Given: 2698

Very interesting. Went back to an IC from a plate chiller. Makes me think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Each type of chiller has its pros and cons. Its like rock-paper-scissors...

I've personally owned and operated all three types. What I CAN say from personal experience is that:

1. The 50' 1/2" IC kicked ass...10 gals to pitching in <10 mins and there was never a concern about clogging.

2. The 40 plate chiller I had kicked even more ass (as fast as I could pump the wort using a powerful Little Giant 3-md-hc pump). But I had to be very careful about clogging. I spent a lot of time backflushing and worrying about sanitation, especially because I kept finding hop particles when flushed.

3. The chillus convolutus was just as fast as the plate and clogging was less of an issue. I thought it was the perfect solution...however the inner coil has a helical shape to it with lots of crevices. I had no problem with residual debris, but there was no way to clean it other than the usual chemical means. Better than a plate, but still enough to bother me.

I have recently gone back to a SS IC with custom whirlpool arm (thanks, Bobby!). I haven't used it this way yet, but I wanted to get back to basics. Sanitation is no longer an issue, and neither is filtration. Oxidation of copper/verdigris in the wort is a non-issue with SS, and it is way more durable.

I can do a quick whirlpool and let things settle....most of the trub and cold break will stay out of the fermenter....AND I can free-float my hops for max utilization.

There is no perfect way to chill, only the way that makes you happy. For batch sizes less than 10 gallons, what does a minute or two really mean?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #28
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I don't know, but after Christmas I might see if my brother wants to buy my I.C. and look into this one.

Plate chillers are cool and all, but I would be too worried about the cleanliness of the inside.

Even if this one doesn't live up to the claims, it should be pretty good.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #29
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom133 View Post
I just measured my tap water on a freshly calibrated thermometer. Outside temp is 32, my tap water is 48. I don't consider my area (near Pittsburgh) to be particularly cold, maybe slightly cooler than average.
I would consider that cold! But hey I live in so cal so my area is probably warmer than average. Even so I still think 32 is a good deal lower than most areas experience, when you consider the south and south west which only get those chilly temps at high altitudes (or extremely low like death valley).

My tap water never gets below 60 which can make chilling a long and wasteful process, which is why i am investing in a plate chiller, and plan on using a pump to recirculate my water, in tandem with a pre chiller. Hopefully that will save me some time and water!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #30
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/forecastsummary/uscurrenttemperatures_large.html

I know off topic, but it does show you where your immersion chiller will be most effective

Quick Reply