Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best chiller
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 23,518
Liked 2118 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
That Jaded thing the OP posted looks like a counterflow. It seems there's copper tubing for both coolant and wort. Description says no pump needed, but I dunno. I wouldn't buy without seeing some reviews first. Caveat emptor!
It claims to be an Immersion Chiller and the pictures show this as well. It looks as though they split the coil into 3 separate sections so you can get colder water pumping through the coil, since each section is shorter than a standard IC and doesn't heat the chilling water longer.

That is an impressive chilling time, even if you add 50% or more to it. And it's as easy to use as a standard IC, another bonus.

I like the fact that it can't be clogged with hops, which can be a problem if you make highly hopped beers. I have yet to find a method that I really like to keep the hops from going into the CFC I use. Still messing with a hops basket, but it isn't perfected yet.

Anyway, it seems like someone could DIY one with similar function for a bit less money, if they were so inclined. They would have to find the 3-way adapter, or do the same thing with T's, but the important part is to split the coils into 3rds and provide enough water flow.
__________________
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
swackattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 695
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Looks great...and not having to worry about the hops is intriguing. I haven't pulled the trigger ona cfc/plate yet but I may get this. Any first hand experience?

__________________
swackattack is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Schumed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 896
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Read the details...they are saying this will achieve the 3 minutes with tap water at 58.....its December in Missouri and tap water is still in the low 60's...

Also their claim you need a pump to use a plate chiller is BS....I gravity feed my plate chiller and works awesome....it actually works better gravity feed in my opinion than with using a pump....

Also you can get a good plate chiller for under $100

I'm calling BS until I see video of it in action

__________________

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Schumed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Hamsterbite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Turlock, CA
Posts: 373
Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed
Read the details...they are saying this will achieve the 3 minutes with tap water at 58.....its December in Missouri and tap water is still in the low 60's...

Also their claim you need a pump to use a plate chiller is BS....I gravity feed my plate chiller and works awesome....it actually works better gravity feed in my opinion than with using a pump....

Also you can get a good plate chiller for under $100
So what you're saying is they suck because your tap water is warmer than what they tested with?
I don't understand your line of reasoning to bash them like this. It's a fellow hobbyist trying to make a buck and you can't be supportive? Every Tom, Dick and Harry is trying to get rich selling exactly the same IC design. At least this one is somewhat innovative.

Don't take it so personal that everyone doesn't make the same enlightened decision to go PC as you have. All have their pros and cons.

The reference to needing expensive pumps with PC's has more to do with cleaning than anything else. Not everyone has adequate water pressure for that. Maybe you do. That does not invalidate their pitch.
__________________

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Hamsterbite is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 23,518
Liked 2118 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbite View Post
So what you're saying is they suck because your tap water is warmer than what they tested with?
I don't understand your line of reasoning to bash them like this. It's a fellow hobbyist trying to make a buck and you can't be supportive? Every Tom, Dick and Harry is trying to get rich selling exactly the same IC design. At least this one is somewhat innovative.

Don't take it so personal that everyone doesn't make the same enlightened decision to go PC as you have. All have their pros and cons.

The reference to needing expensive pumps with PC's has more to do with cleaning than anything else. Not everyone has adequate water pressure for that. Maybe you do. That does not invalidate their pitch.
Take another read of his post. I don't see where he stated they sucked. He is also simply relating his own experience of using a Plate Chiller without a pump. Do you have a personal reason for getting so upset with his simple debunking of their claims?

He also simply states that you can buy a Plate Chiller for less than $100. Is he wrong?

He stated simple facts and opinions. There is nothing in his post that puts down the device. Why you so upset?
__________________
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
Hamsterbite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Turlock, CA
Posts: 373
Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Take another read of his post. I don't see where he stated they sucked. He is also simply relating his own experience of using a Plate Chiller without a pump. Do you have a personal reason for getting so upset with his simple debunking of their claims?

He also simply states that you can buy a Plate Chiller for less than $100. Is he wrong?

He stated simple facts and opinions. There is nothing in his post that puts down the device. Why you so upset?
He said their claims were BS. I disagree. Case closed.
__________________

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Hamsterbite is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Schumed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 896
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbite View Post
He said their claims were BS. I disagree. Case closed.
I said it's BS until I see video of it in action...

I'M FROM THE SHOW ME STATE!!!
__________________

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Schumed is offline
dbrewski Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #18
Hamsterbite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Turlock, CA
Posts: 373
Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed View Post
I said it's BS until I see video of it in action...

I'M FROM THE SHOW ME STATE!!!
Well played sir. Now who's mad again?
__________________

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Hamsterbite is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Schumed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 896
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

its cool....

__________________

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Schumed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Merlmabase
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal, Qubec
Posts: 15
Default

Funny, I adapted this same principle for my homemade immersion chiller. I used 1/4" copper in two parallel 25' coils split with a T at the inflow and outflow. The difference is that I kept the two coils separate - one smaller, tightly wound coil inside a larger, more open one.

It looks goofy as hell, but works a treat. Chills just as a well as my buddy's 50' 3/8" rig. I think the fact that the coils are more widely distributed in the wort makes a big difference, since you have to wait for convection currents to move the wort around as it's cooling. That's one reason I would be skeptical of the claims they're making for the hydra, since it's all packed together.

Anyway, I'd say the idea is sound in principle. But those numbers seem too good to be true.

__________________
Merlmabase is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice/opinions on HERMS/Chiller combo vs Counterflow chiller MuddyCreek All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 09-27-2012 05:56 PM
Pre-Chiller w/ Smaller Tube Diameter than Immersion Chiller? Apulver Equipment/Sanitation 2 12-22-2011 01:56 PM
50ft immersion chiller or 30plate wort chiller? molsonG Equipment/Sanitation 66 03-31-2011 01:36 AM
Sold - Wort Chiller - Chillus Convolutus Counterflow Chiller Yambor44 For Sale 0 03-28-2011 11:10 PM
Counterflow Wort Chiller vs. Immersion Chiller DrunkenJamaal HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback 2 02-08-2010 07:11 AM