New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "Best" bottom config for brew kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Default "Best" bottom config for brew kettle

For all types o batches, AG, PM, extract, what is the "best" bottom config? False bottom, false bottom with bazooka screen under, just a bazooka screen, or something else.

On Deck:
Primary: Centennial Blonde, Petite Saison D'Ete, Weizenbier
Secondary:
Carbing/Conditioning/Lagering: caramel apple cider
On tap: Cottage House Saison, Oaked English Mild, London Porter
Bottled: Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Trench Pale Ale, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

In my opinion, none. If you have to separate hops, like when you have a plate chiller, the best option is containment. Nothing you could install would have enough surface area.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
In my opinion, none. If you have to separate hops, like when you have a plate chiller, the best option is containment. Nothing you could install would have enough surface area.
Sorry not following? If going by the assumption that you want to leave the trub and the boiled hops in the boil kettle when transferring to primary. Maybe that's up for debate, but I'm going by what I've read in most recommendations. So I'd think a bazooka screen would at least keep the hops from going to primary. I'm using an immersion chiller so that's not a consideration. What do you mean by containment?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
kerklein2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The brewershardware.com trub filter seems to have plenty of surface area for the job. Not cheap, but SS false bottoms aren't either and they aren't going to help you with hops.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I use a hop spider in the boil keggle to keep the hop matter contained. This is due to using a plate chiller. IF I wasn't using a plate chiller, though, I'd probably just let it all go into the fermenter. It's been proven that the trub will do NO harm to the brew. There was a test done where they brewed enough to fill two fermenters. They were careful to not have the trub go into one of them, and let it go into the other. The one with the trub ended up being clearer in glass and tasted better.

BTW, if I'm only using a few ounces of hops, I'm more inclined to not use the spider. However, when I'm using 5oz, or more, of hops, I use the spider. Last two batches used 7.5oz (each) of hops, so the spider was fully leveraged.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 10-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

A false bottom for whole hops, and the downline strainer for trub and pellet seems to be the best overall solution at the moment.

It's also what I'm going with on my 1.5bbl build.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sounds like I may not have to worry about the trub going into primary after all. If its one less thing to worry about ill just leave te bottom of the boil kettle empty and open it up and let er rip at primary time.

On Deck:
Secondary:
Bottled: Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Trench Pale Ale, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 10-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You should be fine with just having a dip tube in the kettle. IF you go for larger batch sizes, like 1/2 bbl or over a full barrel, then you might want to do something else. Especially if you're using a plate chiller (which most breweries of that size do). You'll still have options though.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Whirlpool, then dip tube placed outside the trub cone. No need for anything else.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudill
Whirlpool, then dip tube placed outside the trub cone. No need for anything else.
Like it, so take immersion chiller out, whirlpool with sanitized spoon, open valve (no dip tube)

On Deck:
Secondary:

Quick Reply